Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

I have to re-core soft spots on the deck of my '78 sailboat one of these years..
a task I am not looking forward to. My experience: sailboats with no electronics or motors and easy launching are dirt-cheap to keep and sail. Launching dockage / mooring gets pricey as the size of the boat goes up. Don't know much about motor-boats, but it's always nice to be out on the water.

'99 MX-5
8 bicycles
Old 01-21-2021, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
Osmosis is the other potential problem with grp boats.
In the UK most people leave their boats in the water all year round as their is insufficient room on the hard to store them all. Take out every three years to attend to the hull and shaft or stern drive,and then antifoul a couple of weeks before dropping boat back in. A lot of our grp boats are pretty old, built in the 60s and 70s, but fortunately they had really thick hull layup back then and sandwich construction was confined to the superstructure in most cases. On some of those boats the cabins etc were wood not grp so they can be maintenance hogs. My boat is a 1978 build so some of the internal ply panelling is in need of replacement due to the neglected leaking windows. Maintaining of
Heating, rather than Aircon, is also a major concern..
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 01-22-2021, 01:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

My son, and I rehabbed a nice 1988 Glasstron 24" cuddy cabin cruiser over the Summer that he found for $500. It had a Ford 351 that didn't run, and a shoddy interior, with a rusty trailer. He was able to get the motor running really smooth, we re-furbed the upholstery, with a new solid floor and carpet, cleaned out the fuel tank, and lines, and I painted the trailer,

He sold it for a modest profit in October after we ran it a few times on a local lake.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Do you want to enjoy boating with your family, or do you want to enjoy working on your new "hobby" ?

You might just want to buy "Matt's" boat when he upgrades, or his kids leave home .... not a project imo. Unless you really NEED a project .... that's cool too.

You won't regret it .... and if ya do ... so what ?

Yer wife might take a trip or two with you .... then NEVER again ... It happens
Old 01-22-2021, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Well I AM shopping for something in the 31’ range, and if I find one my 27’ Regal bowrider will be for sale.....

As I’ve posted before, boating is the single best investment in family fun that we have ever made. Hell my two teenagers not only come hang out with us, they are already asking about trips for the summer and bring their friends. How often does THAT happen?

Boats are dirt simple. Think small block Chevy, simple wiring with basic fuse blocks and ring terminals, simple plastic plumbing, etc. only in the last 5-10 years has technology really taken hold with more computer controls, networked components, touch screen displays, etc. which makes an older boat a really easy DIY project. My 2009 has one ECU for the engine, that’s it.

I’ve actually dreamed of doing the exact same thing, because boat hull designs really haven’t changed that much over the years. But I would do the full restoration of something like an older Fastech Formula speedboat, because you can find used ones pretty cheap that look the same as a newer $400k one. Buy a really solid hull, something freshwater that’s been stored indoors and is either all fiberglass or mostly. Fully refurbish the interior carpet and vinyl, which if you can DIY is a pretty easy job. Replace the cabinetry with quality wood cabinets. Fully repaint the exterior with something quality like DuPont Imron that is used on the new Formulas. Finally, do a repower with modern crate engines and drives that have EFI. This wouldn’t be a cheap project but would yield a boat that is pretty much like new but for a fraction of the price of new.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all input.
Soon I starting thinking of fix it up on an unsinkable hull, then I saw KC91's post and just woke up. Yeah, how long does it take for me to have it in the water and cruise. umm....

Anyway, can you please add in the real unsinkable boats below if you know any?

Boston whaler
Arima
Key West
Grady White

I also have a question on the Trophy. Some times I read that Trophy is a stand alone manufacture. Some times I see Bay Line - Trophy, meaning the Trophy is a line made by Bay Liner. Are they different or if there is any misunderstood here?

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

MBruns for President

Garage
Parker
McKeecraft
Scout
Edgewater
Mako used to offer foam flotation on several of their models.

I have a Key West and love it
Old 01-22-2021, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Seadoo speedster
Any Yamaha jet boat.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

I am looking on older boats only, maybe 70s/80s. Are these above unsinkable from back then?

The jet boats might not have enough space for diving/fishing days, am I correct? I don't know yet, but this is what I usually read here and there

Also, I want to ask if anyone know for sure that when they say "foam filled", does that mean unsinkable, or some times foam filled is only for dense/sound/etc?

Last edited by rnln; 01-22-2021 at 12:17 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all input.
Soon I starting thinking of fix it up on an unsinkable hull, then I saw KC91's post and just woke up. Yeah, how long does it take for me to have it in the water and cruise. umm....

Anyway, can you please add in the real unsinkable boats below if you know any?

Boston whaler
Arima
Key West
Grady White

I also have a question on the Trophy. Some times I read that Trophy is a stand alone manufacture. Some times I see Bay Line - Trophy, meaning the Trophy is a line made by Bay Liner. Are they different or if there is any misunderstood here?

Thanks again.
Bayliner is the Manufacturer Trophy is a model. Bayliner did make some branding changes about ten years ago where thy broke out their luxury line and made it, it's own brand now called Meridian. Trophy remained a line in the Bayliner company

Wahoo has some unsinkable boats.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks drcoastline.

one more question. Many people recommended that Bayliner is not so great, but I just want to make sure if the Trophy is similar built or complete animal? Or if it is an unsinkable?
I did the search but can't find the solid answer.
Thanks again.

Last edited by rnln; 01-22-2021 at 02:24 PM..
Old 01-22-2021, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Another question I have is about the truck to pull the boat. I have a pick up Ford Ranger truck (the Edge series if it makes any diff), a simple short bed 3.2. Is it good enough to pull let say either Whaler revenge 19'-21', or an Arima similar side?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2021, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

For the truck it’s best to look at the boat gross weight, add the trailer, and then see how that compares to your truck’s tow rating.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks Matts
Old 01-23-2021, 12:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
Thanks drcoastline.

one more question. Many people recommended that Bayliner is not so great, but I just want to make sure if the Trophy is similar built or complete animal? Or if it is an unsinkable?
I did the search but can't find the solid answer.
Thanks again.
Bayliner is an entry level boat. I guess you could almost consider them the Volkswagen beetle of boats. Mass produced low end materials that would allow the average person to get involved in boat that may otherwise not be able to afford to go boating.

I am not aware that the Trophy is "unsinkable" or any Bayliner for that matter.

In my opinion a Bayliner is no better or worse than any other entry level boat. I know personally of several Bayliners for the 1970's that are still going strong. What I have seen with Bayliner is the covering materials and built ins. The covering materials such as carpeting, vinyl seat covers seem to succumb to the effects of the elements quickly. But some of this is also improper cleaning and storage by the owners. Furniture and built-ins also seem to be constructed using non-marine grade materials, particle board, etc. which deteriorate in a wet marine environment.

The advice I and others gave above should be followed regarding any boat you are looking at. A built in fuel tank, wiring, core damage in my opinion are the top three things to look for.

I would also not put to much emphasis on unsinkable. Every boat has a certain level of flotation it must pass by law. All boats in the category you are looking have more than adequate flotation and will not disappear from under you unless something really catastrophic happened. You could always add more flotation if you were so inclined by spraying foam in various cavities. It is far more important to;

1. Take a boating safety course.

2. Don't drink or do drugs while on the water

3. Do not get yourself in a situation that requires you to rely on the boat being unsinkable.

4. Properly maintain the pumps on board, have back up pumps and overkill doesn't hurt.

Last edited by drcoastline; 01-23-2021 at 02:54 AM..
Old 01-23-2021, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
For the truck it’s best to look at the boat gross weight, add the trailer, and then see how that compares to your truck’s tow rating.
Matt gives great advice. To add your towing environment plays a role. If you are in a low lying flat area like where I am you can stretch the towing rule a bit. I don't have hills, steep inclines etc. so I can tow an oversized boat with out overly stressing the engine, transmission or brakes. Once the vehicle is up to speed there isn't an issue. Of course if you are towing a 5,000lb boat with a 2,000lb truck and stock brakes, no brakes on the trailer. You want to give yourself plenty of room to slow that puppy down.

Remember a body in motion wants to stay in motion. That boat is not going to want to come to a stop easily. It will fight you. You are not going to slam the brakes on at the last second and come to a stop.

Things to consider, a transmission cooler and trailer brakes.

Last edited by drcoastline; 01-23-2021 at 02:57 AM..
Old 01-23-2021, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

This boat is smaller than you would want, but here are before and after photos of an old wooden boat that I fixed up last year.
If you find a boat with good bones you can always bring it back to life.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for taking your time to give me the info. Yeah, I heard about the course from a friend, and will take it.

No drug for me, especially when I am in water. In fact, if I am a little drunk, I even have hard time put on my wetsuit :lol:

About "situations", and pump, or any other devices, I think everyone will see me again on "how to" topic when I can acquire a boat. Hope no one get sick of me by then.

For towing, I am searching and making another thread to make sure what I see is correct. I never care paying attention to it.

On which boat and what type, honestly, I can't even decide yet. I started out something like the below, than moving up for safety/unsinkable boats like whaler-revenge/Arima, but these costs a lot more ... This is why my questions are all over the place, and also a reason that I am here. I think I have to sort out all my question into categories to make more sense to everyone.

I didn't even ask about my seasick problem yet. I think I should on the next post....

Thank you much, again.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/fullerton-1989-pleasure-boat-21-ft/7265834821.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/oceanside-1971-imp-boat/7263109397.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/d/dana-point-235-flybridge-boat/7254592929.html

Last edited by rnln; 01-24-2021 at 02:55 AM..
Old 01-24-2021, 02:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
I am not a powerboat expert, but I really don't understand the benefit of an I/O set up on a small pleasure craft unless you are really into sport fishing, wake boarding or wake surfing. I'd much prefer the safety, convenience and simplicity of dual outboards vs the complexity and lack of access that comes with an I/O set up.

Speaking of outboards, lol....

1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 01-24-2021, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

LOL ... the fuel cost alone would be a no-go for me

Old 01-24-2021, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: