Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
^that thread was exactly what I was thinking about when I saw this thread title.

That looks like a complete pain in the ass and Tim has about a zillion% more skills than me.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Registered

nearly unsinkable...
I am looking at an ad of a 19' wellcraft. the owner said "they have the foam construction like a boston whaler" . Then I went for some quick searches and found this site says that it is nearly unsinkable, then I am thinking, what is nearly unsinkable? Nearly not sink, meaning that it can sink, am I right?

https://findanyanswer.com/do-wellcraft-boats-have-wood#:~:text=The%20same%20molds%20are%20now%20used %20to%20construct,the%20hull%2C%20the%20Wellcraft% 20are%20considered%20nearly%20unsinkable.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered

Another questions, the Grady White. After reading I know that it is not an unsinkable but this article making me feel like it is not such a good boat. They are talking about high maintenance, hull crack can be severe, wood used until 1997

Is this article true?
Also, can anyone tell usually how long a 4 stroke engine last, assume average maintenance. How is a 2004 Yamaha 4stroke with approx 2000hrs on it, how soon I will need a rebuild?
Thanks everyone.

https://www.godownsize.com/common-problems-grady-white-boats/

Last edited by rnln; 01-29-2021 at 06:53 PM..
Old 01-29-2021, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Go to The Hull Truth - https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum-14/

lots of good info there. Grady White uses wood Wellcraft also

all depends on maintenance on an outboard - 1500 hours is considered high
Old 01-29-2021, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Registered

thanks Jereme,

Another question in case anyone has the time to share some knowledge. The question is for understanding the type of boat for which purpose...

This sport boat is for fresh water only because the V is not deep, it is flat. It is not for salt water fishing/diving

These below are better for deep ocean water fishing/diving, because it has a little deeper of the V

Now, my question is that this sport boat below has very deep V, beautiful/clean and some nice/comfortable seats to rest too, and still have space to walk around a bit. Why most, if not all, only use it for running around for fun and pulling surf? I very rarely see anyone anchor it in one place and fishing with it. Why people don't like it for fishing/diving?
example pics below:

the swimming flat form is great for diving/snorkeling

Thanks everyone in advance.

Last edited by rnln; 01-30-2021 at 12:35 AM..
Old 01-30-2021, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
nearly unsinkable...
I am looking at an ad of a 19' wellcraft. the owner said "they have the foam construction like a boston whaler" . Then I went for some quick searches and found this site says that it is nearly unsinkable, then I am thinking, what is nearly unsinkable? Nearly not sink, meaning that it can sink, am I right?

https://findanyanswer.com/do-wellcraft-boats-have-wood#:~:text=The%20same%20molds%20are%20now%20used %20to%20construct,the%20hull%2C%20the%20Wellcraft% 20are%20considered%20nearly%20unsinkable.
You are looking at two different things. What makes a whaler "unsinkable" is the foam filled construction method they use. Keep in mind the "unsinkable" aspect they speak of is in their smaller boats. To the best of my knowledge does not apply to their line above seventeen feet?

The article you provide refers to air chambers. So long as those chambers are not compromised the boat will float. You could make that boat less sinkable by filling those chambers with expanding polyurethane foam.

Here are a few vids showing the expanding foam.

This video shows the process of actualling filling the voids creating and unsinkable boat.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
If someone is freaking out about the boat sinking, hull cracking, and engine wearing out, a used boat purchase will not improve your mental health.
Obtain a full out of water pre purchase survey before you buy if you still insist on buying a boat. Take a helmanship course.Learn how to maintain the boat.
Then enjoy.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 01-30-2021, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Another questions, the Grady White. After reading I know that it is not an unsinkable but this article making me feel like it is not such a good boat. They are talking about high maintenance, hull crack can be severe, wood used until 1997

Is this article true?
Also, can anyone tell usually how long a 4 stroke engine last, assume average maintenance. How is a 2004 Yamaha 4stroke with approx 2000hrs on it, how soon I will need a rebuild?
Thanks everyone.

https://www.godownsize.com/common-problems-grady-white-boats/
That's a Bull ***** article. Every fiberglass boat has those same issues and how do you blame Grady White for electronics issues? and yes if the boat is heavier than others it will use more fuel. Doesn't a pick up tuck with a full bed of dirt use more fuel tan an empty truck? Won't a boat with one person use less fuel than a boat with four men weighing 250lbs. each?
Old 01-30-2021, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
thanks Jereme,

Another question in case anyone has the time to share some knowledge. The question is for understanding the type of boat for which purpose...

This sport boat is for fresh water only because the V is not deep, it is flat. It is not for salt water fishing/diving

These below are better for deep ocean water fishing/diving, because it has a little deeper of the V

Now, my question is that this sport boat below has very deep V, beautiful/clean and some nice/comfortable seats to rest too, and still have space to walk around a bit. Why most, if not all, only use it for running around for fun and pulling surf? I very rarely see anyone anchor it in one place and fishing with it. Why people don't like it for fishing/diving?
example pics below:

the swimming flat form is great for diving/snorkeling

Thanks everyone in advance.
The Grady shown is an excellent fishing and diving boat, the others aren't used much because the interior isn't design for fishing and diving, they are pleasure boats with lots of upholstered seating and carpeted decks. No room for equipment. If you have four people to go diving for the day where are you putting all the gear? How about fishing? Same question where you putting the rods, tackle, your days worth of provisions, where are you putting the fish? Boats have different purposes just like a pick up serves a purpose a sedan serves a purpose and a 911 serves a purpose. Sure you can take your 911 to the appliance store and buy a new washer and dryer and trap it to the roof and get them home, but is that what it was designed to do?
Old 01-30-2021, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Just like dr says, every design has an optimal purpose. Anything used offshore you want a deeper V hull, both in terms of the angle of the V to help cut through waves (as opposed to pounding over them) and dead rise, basically the height of the hull relative to the water. Many fishing boats have less deadrise so you can more easily reach the water to grab tour fish, but that can also give you more spray. For lake use the bass style fishing boats have a very shallow V and very little deadrise so you can easily fish the shoreline and shallows, but you lose the ability to handle rough water and heavy chop. There’s also different designs to consider, center consoles (helm in the middle) are very popular for offshore fishing because you can walk around the perimeter of the boat but you get less seating. Bowriders will have more seating but aren’t ideal for fishing. All depends on how you will use it.

Also, I think you are way too focused on sinking.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
The deeper the V - the less stability at rest too. They are all a compromise. The bow rider is typically a good all around lake boat - the salt water version of a bow rider is called a dual console - typically has a deeper V - but same lay out. Deeper V is usually not needed on most lakes - unless you are lake of the Ozarks - which during busy times can have a pretty wicked chop
Old 01-30-2021, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Why are you so concerned about an unsinkable boat?
Pretty rare a boat will sink. Ships maybe.
As above, there isn’t a one purpose boat. Especially as they get larger.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 01-30-2021, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Registered

Thanks everyone for explaining. I have read a lot about boats lately and honestly, when I ask my own questions and get responses directly, it become more clear to me (maybe it is just me). Thanks you.

For the unsinkable... more than one person says that you should not be too afraid that you will be sunk, instead go get safe boating course, be prepare, know the weather, and know what you are doing. Well, I think I will take the safe boating course and read and ask as much as I can, but I still think that it is a great feature if the boat can be leveled float when it is is full of water, expecially for a newbie. So, I want to see if I can have a chance.

Bow rider:
I think I understand about the deep V, and the bass fishing boat, but not sure about the bow rider, which I read all the time. At first, I thought that it is the deep V, but reading what Matt J and Yereme D above, is the bow rider the type in the middle of the deep V and the bass fishing boat, example boston Whaler revenge/outrage, Arima hunter/chaser, etc?

Thanks everyone again.

Last edited by rnln; 01-31-2021 at 02:00 AM..
Old 01-31-2021, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Thanks everyone for explaining. I have read a lot about boats lately and honestly, when I ask my own questions and get responses directly, it become more clear to me (maybe it is just me). Thanks you.

For the unsinkable... more than one person says that you should not be too afraid that you will be sunk, instead go get safe boating course, be prepare, know the weather, and know what you are doing. Well, I think I will take the safe boating course and read and ask as much as I can, but I still think that it is a great feature if the boat can be leveled float when it is is full of water, expecially for a newbie. So, I want to see if I can have a chance.

Bow rider:
I think I understand about the deep V, and the bass fishing boat, but not sure about the bow rider, which I read all the time. At first, I thought that it is the deep V, but reading what Matt J and Yereme D above, is the bow rider the type in the middle of the deep V and the bass fishing boat, example boston Whaler revenge/outrage, Arima hunter/chaser, etc?

Thanks everyone again.
Bow rider Has seating in the pointy end. A pleasure boat designed for skiing, tubing, cruising.

Center console has the steering in the middle that allows you to walk all the way around the boat unobstructed, designed for fishing but can also be used for diving. On larger center consoles there is a bathroom in the console. This particular boat also has seating in the bow.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Registered

Boston whaler center console.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Hull design is separate from the layout. The deep V is just the angle of the hull V, the sharper (steeper) the V, particularly in the nose, the better the boat will cut through the waves. My Regal 2700 is a bowrider that also has a deep V hull to better handle choppy waters. To make it even MORE confusing, it’s becoming popular to have center consoles that also have bow seating. This is getting really popular in the high performance market, where there are now a host of 30+ ft center consoles with high performance hulls, lots of seating, and multiple outboards providing 600+ HP. Which are of course, bad ass.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Registered

I picked my boat for primarily fishing. But I have had 7 adults and 2 kids on for a ride to the beach and lunch later at cabbage key. That was around 2 hours travel time in the boat. I did not hear any complaints.

But I went for the deep v because I go offshore, it rides very well, but will rock while sitting if your trying to fish, like it was in the 2-3 footer yesterday.

Also I feel it’s a little safer with the grandkids to have the deep sides.
1973 911t coupe / 3.2 (sold)
Gruppe B #057
Old 01-31-2021, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

We are entirely pleasure boating but went for a deep V because we are typically at Lake of the Ozarks which can be rough, especially on weekends. We frequently have around 14 people on our boat for the entire day. I’m working on moving up to a Formula 310 for the extra size (3 ft length and 1 ft beam), weight, and higher quality compared to my Regal. 3-ft-itis strikes again!
Old 01-31-2021, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
We are entirely pleasure boating but went for a deep V because we are typically at Lake of the Ozarks which can be rough, especially on weekends. We frequently have around 14 people on our boat for the entire day. I’m working on moving up to a Formula 310 for the extra size (3 ft length and 1 ft beam), weight, and higher quality compared to my Regal. 3-ft-itis strikes again!
I looked at buying a place at Lake of the Ozarks years ago. But after a day on the water it changed my mind. I could afford the cabin, but not a big enough boat for the lake.

I was out on my friends boat that was probably around 25’ or so. We were out of the water more than in it. It was probably just a bad day, and I wasn’t use to it. I would think a 31’ would be good.
1973 911t coupe / 3.2 (sold)
Gruppe B #057
Old 01-31-2021, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered

Please, please, please try out your new rig on a Monday, or Tuesday morning when the boat ramp is near empty, and the lake is calm. There is NOTHING as irritating as someone taking 20 minutes at the boat ramp in front of you fumbling around, making mistakes when your boat is ready to go in, and motor away all in 2 minutes.

This scenario is also very frustrating for someone with no experience in backing a trailer, or launching a boat, when a large amount of people are waiting to pull their boats out, or launch, please don't be that guy, practice launching before trying it on a busy Saturday afternoon !

Last edited by ckelly78z; 02-01-2021 at 01:57 AM..
Old 02-01-2021, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: