Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Please, please, please try out your new rig on a Monday, or Tuesday morning when the boat ramp is near empty, and the lake is calm. There is NOTHING as irritating as someone taking 20 minutes at the boat ramp in front of you fumbling around, making mistakes when your boat is ready to go in, and motor away all in 2 minutes.

This scenario is also very frustrating for someone with no experience in backing a trailer, or launching a boat, when a large amount of people are waiting to pull their boats out, or launch, please don't be that guy, practice launching before trying it on a busy Saturday afternoon !
Couldn't have said it better myself, and now with jetski's wave runners it's even worse. One wave runner will tie up the ramp for thirty minutes.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Please, please, please try out your new rig on a Monday, or Tuesday morning when the boat ramp is near empty, and the lake is calm. There is NOTHING as irritating as someone taking 20 minutes at the boat ramp in front fumbling around of you when your boat is ready to go in and motor away.

This scenario is also very frustrating for someone with no experience in backing a trailer, or launching a boat, when a large amount of people are waiting to pull their boats out, or launch, please don't be that guy !
LOL .... and then they forget the plug

....but only once!

My buddy in Fl bought a new 21' center console decades ago.... and yes he did that .

At least he had a 1T pickup to get her back up the ramp as it was quite obviously not unsinkable.... and H2O is heavy.

His buddies were brutle ... I know... I was there !
Old 02-01-2021, 02:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcummins View Post
I looked at buying a place at Lake of the Ozarks years ago. But after a day on the water it changed my mind. I could afford the cabin, but not a big enough boat for the lake.

I was out on my friends boat that was probably around 25’ or so. We were out of the water more than in it. It was probably just a bad day, and I wasn’t use to it. I would think a 31’ would be good.
I love LOTO, it’s my favorite place. But you have to be smart about when/where you go with a smaller boat. Our 17 ft was flat out scary, we never left the state park area where we typically stay and the big boats rarely tread. The main channel was a hard no. Our 23 ft was marginal at best, we would make brief trips into the main channel for dinner but it was a white knuckle ride. With our 28 ft Regal I finally feel like we can go anywhere anytime and be ok. We were there for the Shootout boat races last year which were estimated at 100,000 people on the water before it started raining. It was 20 miles by water of rough, but we made it without any real concern. With the Formula I pick up 3 ft length, 1 ft beam, twins, a better made boat with a better hull design, and about 4,000 lbs. Should be a nice upgrade.

Also to be fair to the lake, we are going on the weekends and often at peak times. Talking to full timers at LOTO, Sunday-Thursday is basically dead on the water. This year most of our trips are Saturday-Tuesday to hopefully take advantage.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I love LOTO, itís my favorite place. But you have to be smart about when/where you go with a smaller boat. Our 17 ft was flat out scary, we never left the state park area where we typically stay and the big boats rarely tread. The main channel was a hard no. Our 23 ft was marginal at best, we would make brief trips into the main channel for dinner but it was a white knuckle ride. With our 28 ft Regal I finally feel like we can go anywhere anytime and be ok. We were there for the Shootout boat races last year which were estimated at 100,000 people on the water before it started raining. It was 20 miles by water of rough, but we made it without any real concern. With the Formula I pick up 3 ft length, 1 ft beam, twins, a better made boat with a better hull design, and about 4,000 lbs. Should be a nice upgrade.

Also to be fair to the lake, we are going on the weekends and often at peak times. Talking to full timers at LOTO, Sunday-Thursday is basically dead on the water. This year most of our trips are Saturday-Tuesday to hopefully take advantage.
So is it rough due to wake from boat traffic or the lake gets rough from weather?
Old 02-02-2021, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
So is it rough due to wake from boat traffic or the lake gets rough from weather?
I can answer... It's big azz boats that do nothing but ride around creating wake zones.

Bass boats (and folks trying to fish), know a lake is "done" once the skiers, jet skis, and 30' boats appear .
Old 02-02-2021, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
I can answer... It's big azz boats that do nothing but ride around creating wake zones.

Bass boats (and folks trying to fish), know a lake is "done" once the skiers, jet skis, and 30' boats appear .
Pretty much. Where we stay is in the state park area and pretty calm, itís a good place to fish or tube the kids. But out on the main channel where all of the restaurants are, thatís the domain of the big boats. LOTO is full of cruisers and yachts up to around 50 ft, they throw a big wake. Lots of go fast boats too, but they donít muck up the water too much. Itís very hilly and lots of trees, so weather doesnít impact the water much unless thereís a big storm. Even with all that said, the lake is so big that itís still easy to find a quiet cove to anchor.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Registered

Good info here.. I recently bought a mint condition 99 malibu for 2 reasons 1st was they are 100% all fiberglass, 2 they have fantastic build quality.. enjoy your search and buy something of quality

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 02-02-2021, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Hereís where we stay at LOTO. Nice and quiet but the fun isnít far away.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Registered

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know anything about 18' Duffy Catamaran with NU motor? It looks like it has more surface/space compare to a fishing boat to me. If anyone can compare the advantages/disadvantages pros/cons between this type and a normal fishing boat, please let me know
Thanks everyone again.

Last edited by rnln; 02-04-2021 at 01:23 AM..
Old 02-04-2021, 12:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Basically looks like a small pontoon boat, aka "party barge". It is the "go to" style boat for families and older folks who care more about space and comfort than speed. Not sure how safe I would feel in it on anything resembling an ocean with 3 to 5 waves. But for bays, lakes and harbors, no real worries. My brother runs a small pontoon rental business with a few pontoon boats. He has TV's rigged up under the roof and they usually end up beaching it on a sand bar in the lake with other boaters. Generally a good time. (He's seen some CRAZY stuff during a few charters Duffy appears to be going heavy into electric boats so maybe the "NU motor" is electric? or maybe it's just truly is a new gas motor.

Bonus - many people prefer catamarans to mono-hulls as they are generally more stable at anchor and underway. They dominate the sailboat charter industry.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - under refinement.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)

Last edited by tdw28210; 02-04-2021 at 03:55 AM..
Old 02-04-2021, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Like this?

https://www.duffyboats.com/18-snug-harbor/
Old 02-04-2021, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
Registered

Not sure i would be looking to take that little thing to Catalina Island? Not sure I would take it in the ocean at all. A lake maybe but that's about it for me.

Anyone else think this thread is getting a little ridiculous?
Old 02-04-2021, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

I love talking boats! But it is getting a little odd.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Stunning/ Need a toilet though.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 02-04-2021, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Registered

el boats like el cars are very short range esp if lead/acid

http://www.eduffyboats.com/16-sport-cat.html

48-volt DC Motor 5 knots for 3 hours

6-volt Deep Cycle Marine Batteries (8) lead/acid water golf cart set up

my boat project is a cat ketch [two masted sailboat with no jib one hull]
I have a golf cart 48v 3 hp motor but as it sails the el is only for docking or short time maneuvers
and is SLOW

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/beachcomber-25
Old 02-04-2021, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Registered

drcoastline, onewhippedpuppy, tdw28210, 911 Rob,

Thanks.
Like this....
https://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/d/oxnard-duffy-sportcat-catamaran/7267710497.html

I found an article indicated that electric motor can run really slow. I don't care about racing on the water but very slow can be not good... in even the bay area.

Sorry that I brought up an odd question. I thought the boat looks nice to me and can have lot of space, but I didn't know specific characteristics of diff types. Please consider that this is my learning curb on which can do what.

Thanks.

Last edited by rnln; 02-04-2021 at 10:31 AM..
Old 02-04-2021, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota View Post
el boats like el cars are very short range esp if lead/acid

http://www.eduffyboats.com/16-sport-cat.html

48-volt DC Motor 5 knots for 3 hours

6-volt Deep Cycle Marine Batteries (8) lead/acid water golf cart set up

my boat project is a cat ketch [two masted sailboat with no jib one hull]
I have a golf cart 48v 3 hp motor but as it sails the el is only for docking or short time maneuvers
and is SLOW

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/beachcomber-25

Thanks for explaining. That site was what I just saw too and first thing I see is 5mph top speed.
Thanks.

One of the reason I felt like it when I saw it last night, beside the space, was that I saw "catamaran".
Back to years ago when we got on the ferry go to catalina from Newport beach, I got sea sick. Another the time I went to catalina was on the catamaran from Long Beach, I felt fine back and forth happily. Got through the scuba training there without any issue. I asked the instructor, he said because the catamaran helps. You won't get sea sick on catamaran. BTW, after more reading on this topic, the dream of driving myself to Catalina is not with me anymore.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by rnln; 02-04-2021 at 10:18 AM..
Old 02-04-2021, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Even on a small inland lake I wouldn’t feel comfortable on a boat with a top speed of 5 knots.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Registered

got it, thanks.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered

Yes, forget going to Catalina on it .... now go find yourself a boat!

Happy searching, and run whatever you find by PPOT

I like to read Matt's posts about boats

Old 02-04-2021, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: