Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

H4 bulb wiring positions?

I am wiring in H4 bulb plugs on an '87 930 so I can use H4 Headlights in this car.
The '87 cars came with DOT H5 headlights which I do not like compared to the much better focused Euro H4 lights..
I know which wires in the car do what from a test light, but I do not know which terminals on the back of the H4 bulb are ground, high beam, and low beam.
You can touch wires to the terminals on the bulb and get filiments to light, but unless it's mounted in the reflector and on the car it's hit and miss to maybe get it right and I want to do them right the first time and solder the wires.
The H5 plugs will remain so I can put the H5 units back in if desired.

When looking at the back of the bulb while mounted in the reflector there is one terminal on top, one on the left and one on the right.

Does anyone know which of these terminals on an H4 bulb are ground, high beam filiment and low beam filiment?

Old 09-24-2006, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

From work I did converting other cars to H4..here is what I found and I hope is universal for ALL H4's ....

As you hold and view the backside of a H4 bulb...there are three pins in a "U" shaped pattern that stick out and face you. Right side vertical is ground....left side vertical is high beam....and bottom horizontal is low beam...

CAUTION.....this is viewing the backside of a bulb...NOT the female receptacle-end of the receiver-plug...which would be mirror-image....

- Wil
Old 09-24-2006, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
A nice drawing in this thread:

H4 Socket Wiring

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 09-24-2006, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies

In the link to an earlier thread there is a diagram of the bulb connections that answered my question perfectly.

thanks.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage
Note: I just checked & the picture is the reverse of what Wil said. That is dangerous, because Wil is seldom wrong. The left/right is reversed as if the diagram is looking at the socket. I will check & report.

Ian

----- “Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein -----
Old 09-24-2006, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Used Up User

Garage

This is how mine is wired. It matches the diagram in the link (reversed).

Ian

Old 09-24-2006, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Toxic

Garage
correct

I know this is correct,

The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollar$.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: