Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I, too, own an S.A. Edition.. It's presently undergoing a full-out restoration. Agree with Justin about getting those wheels back to colored match.

Tell us about the teacup around back...never seen one of those on a S.A. Edition...only the Carrera tail.

She's a beaut! Enjoy her!

Best!

Doyle

25th Anniversary Special Edition
Middle Georgia
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Welcome!
Great looking car, plenty of good people here on hand to help.

Anthony.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

PARF isn't that bad. It will teach you valuable debating skills. For whoever is occupying the oval office, their opponents occupy PARF.

It has never been this bad before, but we've never had such a divisive President either.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshepp806 View Post
I, too, own an S.A. Edition.. It's presently undergoing a full-out restoration. Agree with Justin about getting those wheels back to colored match.

Tell us about the teacup around back...never seen one of those on a S.A. Edition...only the Carrera tail.

She's a beaut! Enjoy her!

Best!

Doyle
dshepp806,
I think you are correct that my car should have the Carrera style spoiler lip.
In my mind it needed two things changing when I bought it last Summer... wheel finish and spoiler lip.
So, wheels first and then spoiler... (I'm currently looking for the spoiler lip/rim).

Who's doing the rebuild work on your car?
I'd love to see any 'in-progress' rebuild photos that you'd be willing to share.
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
My mechanicals are perfect (aside from a cracked fan housing)...no needs there.

The present work session is cosmetical (paint and interior). Thread (although slowly moving) is here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/726879-day-has-finally-come-paint-resto.html

Mr. John Holt (Hotwheels/Marietta) will be handling the paint and a few interior items while Heritage will be handling the interior.

Beautiful car (but I'm a bit biased, eh?).

There's also a link to a Google Drive for pics and spreadsheets.

BEST!

Doyle
Middle Georgia
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
My mechanicals are perfect (aside from a cracked fan housing)...no needs there.

The present work session is cosmetical (paint and interior). Thread (although slowly moving) is here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/726879-day-has-finally-come-paint-resto.html

Mr. John Holt (Hotwheels/Marietta) will be handling the paint and a few interior items while Heritage will be handling the interior.

Beautiful car (but I'm a bit biased, eh?).

There's also a link to a Google Drive for pics and spreadsheets.

BEST!

Doyle
Doyle,
Thanks for sharing the link on your restoration... looks like you are doing everything 'right'.
Bet you can't wait!

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
You are most welcome, Sir. I have no choice but to wait,..hurry up and wait!

We'll look forward to your shake-down process. As Rwebb was getting at,..do check the safety items FIRST! I'm curious to see if she already has the head light relay kit installed, as well as additional dash circuit fusing.....these two are a must, as to mods.

Other mods (on mine): the only external mod was to loose the rear window wiper as I didn't like the way it broke up the nice lines of the car,....that assembly now lives in a box, with the car's hole being plugged with a perfectly matching/fitting plug from the local Ace Hardware place! Now, the console's rear wiper switch is wired to manually engage my front oil cooler fan when I feel like doing so. The front oil cooler still has the stock thermostat, and it's resultant high engagement point. I look to get the BMW thermostat loaded this summer.

She has a Wong chip loaded (noticeable difference),..added turbo tie rods,..installed WEVO rear sway bar mounts.

Steering wheel has been nicely wrapped in BLACK leather (by the P.O.).

Otherwise, she's bone stock!!!!!!1

Did you get a good history on the car? Oil selection/change intervals, tranny lube/intervals, previous work? Always cool to see another S.A. added on the list!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST!

Doyle
Middle Georgia
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
One of the first things I did after buying my girl several years ago was to go through the fuse box very carefully. Checked terminations for cleanliness and tightness,..retensioned the fuse holders and burnished to shiny copper...replaced just about all of my fuses, as many looked weathered. Always good to get THAT baseline so you don't have weird connectivity issues in that area.

I've accumulated many parts over the years so let me know if you need anything for test/repair purposes on your girl!!!!!!!!!! I'm one of those anal ones, changing out my plugs, dist. cap and rotor button much more frequently than the "book's" suggestion..so I've plenty of spares,..none of which have more than 6K miles on 'em......just an example.

MANY great people here to help you out with "whatever".

BEST!

Doyle
Middle Georgia
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Amazing color! Perfect blend of classic and classy.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Smoove1010

Garage
Ukusto - Beautiful car!

I've got the turbo lip on my spoiler as well. Until I read this thread, I didn't realize that it was just the lip that was different and not the whole tail.

I'm a Porsche-newbie myself, I've had mine for just 11 months. First thing I did was make her safe and dry, which in my case involved new brake lines, rear wheel bearings, one front wheel bearing, new brake hoses, steering wheel bushing, brake light switches, turn signal service, brake bleed, two new oil lines in the rear fender well. Another poster suggested that I replace everything made of rubber, and he wasn't far off...

Drove her all summer long, and now the engine is out for a top-end which I'm tracking on this forum - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/729856-87-drop-top-drop-n-top-end.html

The projects are half the fun - you'll get a lot of great advice and inspiration on this forum. It's made my Porsche-owning experience even more satisfying than I thought it would be.

Welcome and good luck!

GK
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
You are most welcome, Sir. I have no choice but to wait,..hurry up and wait!

We'll look forward to your shake-down process. As Rwebb was getting at,..do check the safety items FIRST! I'm curious to see if she already has the head light relay kit installed, as well as additional dash circuit fusing.....these two are a must, as to mods.

Other mods (on mine): the only external mod was to loose the rear window wiper as I didn't like the way it broke up the nice lines of the car,....that assembly now lives in a box, with the car's hole being plugged with a perfectly matching/fitting plug from the local Ace Hardware place! Now, the console's rear wiper switch is wired to manually engage my front oil cooler fan when I feel like doing so. The front oil cooler still has the stock thermostat, and it's resultant high engagement point. I look to get the BMW thermostat loaded this summer.

She has a Wong chip loaded (noticeable difference),..added turbo tie rods,..installed WEVO rear sway bar mounts.

Steering wheel has been nicely wrapped in BLACK leather (by the P.O.).

Otherwise, she's bone stock!!!!!!1

Did you get a good history on the car? Oil selection/change intervals, tranny lube/intervals, previous work? Always cool to see another S.A. added on the list!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST!

Doyle
Doyle,

I also put a SW chip in the car and it made a definite low-end improvement.

I found the car last year in CA and used European Car Locators to check it out for me. They owned by a great guy called David Maynard who is very knowledgeable. He got the PPI done which came back with a clean bill of health and 'like new' compression and leak-down numbers! Not bad for 75K miles...
So... I bought it and used the recommended Intercity trucking to bring it across country.
Been driving it to work everyday (not rainy days) since thru the twisty back-roads of VA and walking into the office smiling.

If you know anyone with a decent used Carrera rubber lip/rim please let me know!
They are $800 new and I've gotta pay Harvey Weidman for my wheels first!

Cheers.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoove1010 View Post
Ukusto - Beautiful car!

I've got the turbo lip on my spoiler as well. Until I read this thread, I didn't realize that it was just the lip that was different and not the whole tail.

I'm a Porsche-newbie myself, I've had mine for just 11 months. First thing I did was make her safe and dry, which in my case involved new brake lines, rear wheel bearings, one front wheel bearing, new brake hoses, steering wheel bushing, brake light switches, turn signal service, brake bleed, two new oil lines in the rear fender well. Another poster suggested that I replace everything made of rubber, and he wasn't far off...

Drove her all summer long, and now the engine is out for a top-end which I'm tracking on this forum - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/729856-87-drop-top-drop-n-top-end.html

The projects are half the fun - you'll get a lot of great advice and inspiration on this forum. It's made my Porsche-owning experience even more satisfying than I thought it would be.

Welcome and good luck!

GK
Thanks for the welcome, GK.

Love the photo of you sitting where the engine should be...
Hopefully I don't have to join the 'drop out' club too soon but it doesn't seem so daunting with all this good advice available... I'd like to stick to smaller jobs for a while anyways!

Cheers.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice UKUSTO!!!!!!! 11 months is enough to learn her, and it sounds like you're well on your way.

This board (and others) certainly contribute to maintaining (what I like to call) "stewardship". Aside from the smart-arses and curmudgeons, a great group of people lurk here,..and "rightfully" so.

To the tail,..couldn't really tell from the pics,..(howsa' bout a full on rear end shot?)...wasn't even aware that the rubber Turbo "lip" would mount on a non-Turbo Carrera tail and one could create a "hybrid",..in that the tail is Carrera, yet the rubber is Turbo-styled? mmmm....

I surely looks good, as is!

How long is the turn-around from Harvey? What is he doing (exactly)? I ask because my car is in for paint and the wheels will be color-matched to the car's silver metallic. I'd still like to get the rim portions livened up a bit,..as one has real road rash.

We'll see.

Best!

Doyle
Middle Georgia
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Very nice UKUSTO!!!!!!! 11 months is enough to learn her, and it sounds like you're well on your way.

This board (and others) certainly contribute to maintaining (what I like to call) "stewardship". Aside from the smart-arses and curmudgeons, a great group of people lurk here,..and "rightfully" so.

To the tail,..couldn't really tell from the pics,..(howsa' bout a full on rear end shot?)...wasn't even aware that the rubber Turbo "lip" would mount on a non-Turbo Carrera tail and one could create a "hybrid",..in that the tail is Carrera, yet the rubber is Turbo-styled? mmmm....

I surely looks good, as is!

How long is the turn-around from Harvey? What is he doing (exactly)? I ask because my car is in for paint and the wheels will be color-matched to the car's silver metallic. I'd still like to get the rim portions livened up a bit,..as one has real road rash.

We'll see.

Best!

Doyle
Doyle,

I believe the car's previous owner put the Turbo style spoiler lip on. I've been told that the Carrera lip will bolt to the same spoiler base... I sure hope so!
Personally, I think the Carrera style looks more elegant (and its' stock of course).

I would post a pic but I can't figure out how to insert an image into this reply...

Harvey is busy, probably a 8-10 week turnaround. He is de-chroming the wheels, cleaning them up, anodize as factory then painting centers silver (same as body color).
Sounds like he does really good work according to this forum.

Cheers.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: