Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

Poll: Does your 915 w/ LSD make a binding/grinding noise or sensation when turning sharp?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Does your 915 w/ LSD make a binding/grinding noise or sensation when turning sharp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Those with a LSD, I got a ?

My 1982 911 SC has a ZF limited slip differential. When starting from a stop and making a turn in either direction while accelerating I feel a very strong binding/grinding/crunching/vibrating sensation until I straighten out. I never turn hard enough above 1st gear to reproduce the situation. Is this normal? Someone once told me "Well at least you know its working"....but there's no way this is what its supposed to feel like, is it?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Rescuer of old cars

Garage
My '84 does not do this. I make a full lock turn out of my parking spot at work every day I drive the car. Never have noticed anything then.

1972 911T coupe
Priors - '84 911 Carrera coupe, '84 944, '73 914 2.0
Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Nope - mine does not do that -
Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
gearhead

Someone restacked your LSD at some point. It is more aggressive than stock. Either that or it has oil in there that is too sticky for a street car. What do you run?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

You may have the wrong gear oil in your transmission (as Matt said).
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 05-20-2014, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

The ZF LSD in my former 930 would also groan a bit on full lock turns from a standing start. 40%, with 50K miles.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

My 930 had this symptom. Changed to Kendall 80W90 LS which totally remedied the noise. Do a search on gear oil - there are many narratives describing why you are hearing the grinding, and great recommendations on preferred gear oil, and what not to use.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Ok I've added friction modifier to the fluid that's in there. The fluid looks fresh but I'm not sure what weight/brand it is. Again this is not just a noise it's a full on sensation of metal on metal. I really don't like the feeling. It feels like something is being damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2014, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes-- my 1981SC does exactly this. Will also do it around a low speed hairpin in second gear. The PO changed the gear oil to Mobilube before I bought the car, I'll be trying the Kendall that others recommended to see if that alleviates the noise. My car also has the factory ZF LSD, 159K miles.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

My '83 915 gearbox, factory LSD with kendall oil does not do this. It is completely quiet.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

The problem with adding a friction modifier is that the same oil is also used for the transmission. You have a 915 I believe and I don't think the Porsche synchros will work properly with a slippery additive. I would drain it all out and start with fresh, correct fluid.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Ok I'll order some Kendall tranny sauce and will report back. This is one of those moments where I'll be shocked if by changing the fluid this metal on metal thrashing sensation is fixed. Guess it's the cheapest possible fix so it's worth a shot.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

You needed to check your magnetic drain plug anyhow ..
Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

My 88 does this also. If you get on it making a turn from stopped it feels like the clutch is chattering.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

One gear oil change isn't likely to rid the tranny of the offending friction modifier. Might take 2 or 3 changes. BTDT with a customer's car.

The Cap'n
Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
offending friction modifier? This special sauce from kendall has friction modifier. Everyone with LSD says you need friction modifier. Not knowing what kind of fluid my tranny had I went ahead and added some friction modifier. My LSD grinds and crunches the same as before and after I added friction modifier. Now I am going to completely drain all the fluid and refill with kendall 80w90 Limited Slip (which means it has a friction modifier). Can you explain why I would need to change the oil 2-3 times? And by that do you mean buy 12 qts of kendall so that I can fill, drain and trash about 9 quarts?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

"Everyone"? What does Porsche say? They've traditionally specifically discouraged the use of such additives. "Porsche style synchros" (they're used by other manufacturers) operate on friction. Additives which reduce the friction are detrimental to the operation of the synchro rings. It's been a LONG time since I owned a Porsche with an LSD , and maybe things have changed. Or not. As for the flushing, that's just what I meant. The friction modifiers can stay in the system if you only drain and refill once, especially if they're using MoSO2.

The Cap'n
Old 05-21-2014, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Ok I'll order some Kendall tranny sauce and will report back. This is one of those moments where I'll be shocked if by changing the fluid this metal on metal thrashing sensation is fixed. Guess it's the cheapest possible fix so it's worth a shot.
A common failure point on the ZF LSD is the bearing flange. It snaps off right at the edge of the diff body. If this were to happen, in tight turns you would be torquing the inner bevel gears out of alignment with the spiders and potentially damaging them.

I'm on a phone right now. I've got an LSD here with this sort of failure that I will photograph and post this afternoon.

I agree with RedCoupe, btw. I only ever suggest friction modifiers for a casually driven street car. For a track vehicle the friction modifiers pose two problems. One is they are too slippery for the synchros. The other is that they make the LSD less effective. They make it lock less.

The absolute worst offender is Redline Shockproof. Just went through this with a Conti race team. They called up complaining that no matter how tight they stacked the LSD or how much preload they introduced they couldn't get the LSD to effectively lock. They wanted me to make them custom super duper ramps for it. I asked what gear oil. They had that Redline garbage in there. Put in some Delvac and problem magically went away.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Ok so if the bearing flange is broken how would I know? Would tranny fluid leak out? Also if the bearing flange is broken and this leads to more damage...is the damage contained in the LSD or are you saying the actual tranny will be damaged by the broken bearing flange?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
Remember to loosen the fill plug BEFORE you take out the drain plug!
So that you know you can refill it.
Bob

Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: