Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I think I have a bad fuel pump

I have a car with a 3 year old, 3000 mile rebuilt engine. The fuel pump was done in the rebuild, which makes it a surprise that this went out, but would like a little feedback. Maybe it was a 30 yr old part sitting on the shelf that was used to rebuild this one.

Symptoms:
*When cranking the car, clearly no fuel getting to the engine. The clear plastic filter in the engine bay not filling with fuel.
*I disconnect the fuel line going to the tank and i can easily manually suck fuel to the pump. So no blockage in the tank.
*I pulled the fuel pump, and when you manually push in the piston, you get it to push air out the side going to the carbs. (If you cover the hole, the piston doesn't want to go down) But when you put your finger over the "source" side that pulls from the tank, it doesn't create any suction and the piston operates freely.
*all the gaskets under visual inspection look ok.

What am I missing? Just a rebuild kit?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 07-10-2020, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi Matt, I don't know if you're active on the 912bbs but that's where the 912 community lives. It's also populated with the experts from the 356 world. Decades of experience from a great community.
https://www.912bbs.org/forum/

The short answer is that you should feel suction.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have used both electrical and mechanical fuel pumps over the years, and have gone back to mechanical. They can go at any time, so you'll need to replace it. (it could have been and older fuel pump that was used after the rebuild - since that's what I would do -- if the fuel pump works, leave it alone). Rebuilding an engine doesn't require rebuilding carbs or the fuel pump.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Matt:
First, take the small bolt off of the top of the fuel pump and make sure the screen isn't clogged (pump can stay on the car.) If it looks okay, take the hose off of the carb inlet and put it into a coffee can and crank the motor for 10 seconds, then check for fuel. If there's nothing there, crank for another 10 seconds and check for fuel. You can get a rebuild kit for about 40.00 .
Bill

Old 07-16-2020, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: