Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Removing pinion from steering rack 996 / 986

I'm trying to disassemble a steering rack from a 996 (I believe it's also the same part on the 986).

I have the plastic cover off and snap ring out from the steering shaft side of the pinion - photos below.

I've removed the nut from the opposite end of the pinion and pulled out the ball bearing on the bottom end. I've also removed the tensioner.

The pinion turns freely and moves the rack without any problems. However, the pinion does not want to pull out no matter what I do. It moves up to about 5mm back and forth in its housing with moderate pressure, but then stops and won't proceed any further. Is there a trick to removing this, or is there another snap ring somewhere I have to access somehow? Has anyone successfully had one of these apart?

Any advice appreciated!

Old 06-06-2020, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The part where the steering shaft would index onto the pinon. (the second picture) Does that piece on the end thread on. It appears to be a separate from the main body. Maybe try a brass or aluminum drift and tap on it a little from the other end.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: