Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.80 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

interesting intake....

as I have been researching LS conversions I see similar things, reverse the intake.

is it even possible to not reverse the intake? from pics I can see how a stock deck lid would be in the way. but I have an extended DP deck lid, and suspect it may have room to leave the intake facing the rear....

thoughts? pics?

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
interesting intake....

as I have been researching LS conversions I see similar things, reverse the intake.

is it even possible to not reverse the intake? from pics I can see how a stock deck lid would be in the way. but I have an extended DP deck lid, and suspect it may have room to leave the intake facing the rear....

thoughts? pics?
It won’t work, it puts the throttle body into the rear crossmember that the lid latches into, and even if you modified that (I don’t know how you would) it leaves zero room for an intake and filter. It’s not hard at all to flip it around, you have to shave a rib on the intake manifold to clear the oil pressure sensor enough to put the connector on it. Aside from that it’s as simple as remove and reinstall and reroute some PCV hoses

Very nice car though, I love a slant nose!

Last edited by VacantSky; 04-09-2020 at 07:23 AM..
Old 04-09-2020, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtidone View Post

The Pandemic has allowed me time to clear out my garage and evaluate my many projects (e30 turbo, Heally Sprite etc). I feel inspired to move forward on my 911 conversion that has been sitting for 14 years due starting a business, having kids etc. My son is now big enough to assist me so I am getting that itch again. Back then, I bought an 6.0L Ls1 crate motor on craigslist for $500 from a gentlemen clearing out his warehouse. I am in the process of making sure it has not seized up. I like the fact that you are taking your time, picking and choosing your purchases (not buying the full kits from Renegade or Toy Jet), and fabricating your own pieces when necessary. I myself don't have funds to just spend, especially with two kids getting close to going to college. Would be great to be able to discuss with you your process, ex I did not know that you could get only the cradle from Renegade without having to buy the whole kit, and I especially want to understand your radiator setup because i do not want to cut up the front of the car/gas tank. Looking forward to discussing your project.
Yeah if you message renegade and ask for just the cradle theyíll sell it individually, they can sell it raw without finish too to save a little extra. It still wasnít ďcheapĒ but it allowed me to explore all the parts by myself which is something I personally preferred, and that in turn allows you to chip away at it slowly rather than drop large sums of money at once. My car was driver (and driving) condition before I started this conversion so the sale of the 3.2 & 915 have funded everything so far. That includes a few things that had nothing to do with the conversion..!

That 6.0 you have there is likely an LQ9, it appears to be an iron block. Which will add a little weight to the rear of the car VS the aluminum block LS engines. From what Iíve read the aluminum block LS dressed for the 911 is ~30lbs lighter than the 3.2. And the iron block LS is typically 80lbs heavier than the aluminum block

I will be cutting the front of the car, but nothing past an exaggerated RSR oil cooler duct. Hopefully will be making some cuts during some quarantine time next week! Either that or refinishing the Fikse FM10ís I picked up..
Old 04-09-2020, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

thanks for the info. I see some people cut a hole in the firewall and extend the air cleaner to the inside of the car. so I wondered is you can do something in the back...

move along ... nothing more to see here ... move along...
Old 04-10-2020, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
thanks for the info. I see some people cut a hole in the firewall and extend the air cleaner to the inside of the car. so I wondered is you can do something in the back...

move along ... nothing more to see here ... move along...
Haha! No problem! You definitely donít have to cut into cabin of the car to make it work at all!
Old 04-11-2020, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

yea there is the RH U and now have seen the cobra neck you found.

but got back to thinking about the intake to the rear of the car......

realized if I open up the back of the tail, it will be sucking hot exhaust air. so now toying with idea of creating a space on the back of the tail keeping the intake inside...

but sometimes the fantasy hits the reality...
Old 04-11-2020, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

914 V8 soon

Thanks

Vacantsky, I want to thank you and everyone else with the info and photos.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Not much going on recently, but I did get this rennline phone mount in the mail. But instead of using it for a phone Iíll be using it for the Terminator X handheld to monitor the engine on the fly. Itís very sturdy, So I would recommend it for a phone too!

Old 04-22-2020, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Not much for updates that arenít LS specific. Just been slowly putting my fuse box in, and really procrastinating on cutting the tub for the radiator.. I need to just get it over with. I can smell the finish line and Iím slowing down for some odd reason.. anyways!

I originally opted to use the renegade throttle cable kit just because I wasnít too sure how I would connect a cable to the rod or bell crank and I was being a bit lazy.. turns out they out source it to another shop for fabrication and that shop is closed until COVID blows over. I waited for a few weeks and got impatient. I ended up getting a good idea of fixing something to the bell crank while I changed the bushings and decided to take a look at LS throttle cables. I settled on a Lokar 60Ē cut to fit cable, and a piece of scrap bar stock I had sitting in the garage gave itís life to become the bracket by the bell crank. If anyone can think for any reason itís not a good idea have my bracket mounted where it is, please let me know. But I think it should be okay. The nuts are torqued to spec, pics:

I need to tweak the angle ever so slightly so the crank pulls the cable out straight but it should work perfectly! $80 for a quality cable and a piece of bar stock vs $169

Last edited by VacantSky; 05-24-2020 at 05:59 AM..
Old 05-23-2020, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

thanks. I would prefer to use a cable for the throttle rather than drive-by-wire. guess I am just too old school.

dont like the DBY in my F150 or my wifes Audi. when you first dip into the throttle frequently it hesitates just a bit.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Curious if anyone can point me towards a clutch cable? Iím using a 930 trans in what is originally a 915 car, and my 915 clutch cable is too short. Seems there are several different part numbers for cables on the 930ís from my researching. Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-12-2020, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a shortened 930 but haven't gotten to installing it yet and would have thought that the clutch cable was the same. Let me know what you find out.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan2947 View Post
I have a shortened 930 but haven't gotten to installing it yet and would have thought that the clutch cable was the same. Let me know what you find out.
Mine is shortened also, and I thought the same. I may just have to order a couple cables and use whichever one fits best. If you have a 930 trans carrier it’s not going to work as is either. I temporarily modified my 915 carrier until I can get a proper modification for the 930 carrier I picked up. The 930 carrier bolts into a different area on the torsion tube v the 915, it’s a little further EDIT: forward (not rearward, picture in follow up comment). Roughly an inch but I can’t remember exactly. Definitely no room to move the engine that far back. I saved this picture from a thread about a carrera getting a 930 drive train and this was how the 930 carrier needed to be modified

The thread is titled “Frederick the great” I believe

Last edited by VacantSky; 11-05-2020 at 06:34 AM..
Old 06-13-2020, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

are you using a rengade cradle? from talking to them you need to let them know what gearbox you use as the LS engine and the gearbox bolt to the cradle to get the correct fit.

but I have a LONG way to go....
Old 06-13-2020, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
are you using a rengade cradle? from talking to them you need to let them know what gearbox you use as the LS engine and the gearbox bolt to the cradle to get the correct fit.

but I have a LONG way to go....
I am using the renegade cradle, but it doesnít bolt to the transmission. Only the engine and the trans bellhousing adaptor plate that bolts to the engine.

Here are the torsion tubes of a 930 and a 911.

You can see that the 930 mount points sit a little further forward than the Carrera. Meaning that when you use the 930 carrier on the 930 trans in a Carrera the holes wonít line up. I had to cut and modify my 915 carrier to fit the nose cone of the 930 trans and drill two holes in it so I could hang the engine and transmission seen here:

You can see here how tight the clutch cable is against the throttle bell crank, even with it tight like this it doesnít reach the clutch arm
Old 06-13-2020, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
I am using the renegade cradle, but it doesn’t bolt to the transmission. Only the engine and the trans bellhousing adaptor plate that bolts to the engine.
hmmmm.....

I specifically asked them about this as I have an SC tub and using a short BH 930 gearbox. I have the gearbox support from the 915. will be watching this thread for ideas.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
hmmmm.....

I specifically asked them about this as I have an SC tub and using a short BH 930 gearbox. I have the gearbox support from the 915. will be watching this thread for ideas.
Not my picture, but you can see here that the renegade cradle has nothing to do with mounting the transmission to the chassis

It bolts to the stock LS engine mount holes, and ties to the adaptor plate. My 915 carrier is modified just so I can hang the drivetrain and get the car running but when itís fab time for the exhaust Iíll have the 930 carrier modified like the picture I borrowed and shared earlier
Old 06-14-2020, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Those are some massive spacers
Old 06-14-2020, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

interesting...

I had the impression the RH cradle bolted to the gearbox mounts in the front.

so where does it bolt?
Old 06-15-2020, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
interesting...

I had the impression the RH cradle bolted to the gearbox mounts in the front.

so where does it bolt?
You may have read over it, but I mentioned it bolts to the stock engine mount locations on the LS, and the adaptor plate for the trans (again, not my pic but a good side profile of it)

Old 06-15-2020, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: