Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Yes that is probably a good idea. The funny thing is , once I correct these few items I suspect I won't be able to pull the trigger.
Might rethink this as the more I look at it, I think I may regret it . Too much work to replace it if I get sellers remorse.
May just start looking for a cayman or Cayman S of similar value and buying first before selling the 911. Not the end of the world if it sits in storage for a summer and as my astute 12 year old days, the 911 is just getting more valuable the longer I hold onto it. He also says buy Roblox at IPO so listen up.
Might have to let the next generation fight over this one.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Inniswhe; 11-20-2020 at 04:25 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You're sounding like Geronimo on sugarwood's Japanese car thread, except he's still on the fence, wanting to dump his 911 because he's in love with Japanese cars. Just the opposite actually.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Well dropped it off today too get the couple little exterior nicks repaired before it goes into storage for the winter. Will be ready in spring with a zero flaw exterior and ordering new leather for the seats. If I change my mind over the winter at least the car will be as cosmetically close to 100% as is reasonable for a 36 yr old car.
I always figured that when the motor eventually needed an overhaul I would twin plug and go 3.4 L. That never happened as the engine has just always worked great. Only 10k miles in 10 years so I might be waiting a while yet for that if I keep it.

Last edited by Inniswhe; 11-21-2020 at 07:49 PM..
Old 11-21-2020, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice car. Re-installing the original wheel would be a good investment.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

The car came with the momo installed and I can't think of a better wheel for driving, personally I would take it over the oem wheel if given the choice. I never thought of purists who would be looking for the original porsche wheel . I believe I have it in a box of spare parts that came with the car when I bought it. Next owner can install it if they wish.
Would the porsche wheel actually be a positive in a sale versus a classic mono ?

Old 11-21-2020, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
Next owner can install it if they wish.
Would the porsche wheel actually be a positive in a sale versus a classic mono ?
The momo results in a $5k decrease in value for your car.
Merely supplying the OEM wheel is not enough.
Letting the next owner install the OEM wheel will still result in a $5k lower selling price for you.
Aftermarket wheel taints the entire presentation and ownership history.

Last edited by sugarwood; 11-22-2020 at 04:21 AM..
Old 11-22-2020, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Registered

Interesting , I never realized the momo would have such a dramatic impact. I guess I better put the original back on . Pretty good return on a few minutes work !

Old 11-22-2020, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Troll Hunter

Garage
Don't bother. There's no way it'll have a $5K impact. He likes to blow things out of proportion.

I'd take the MOMO all day long over OEM. Just include the OEM in the deal. Zero impact on value having the MOMO installed.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Letting the next owner install the OEM wheel will still result in a $5k lower selling price for you.
He might be blowing it a bit out of proportion. Certainly will be worth your while. May not actually increase sale price, but will definitely increase the desirability.

I look at the pics of your car and the only thing that has been "messed with" is the wheel.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
No, it's a $5k penalty.
Go check BAT for plenty of examples
Old 11-23-2020, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post

fake news.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Well since I have the OEM wheel I will install it.

I actually found a dealer within driving distance with a 2008 997.1 S manual with 48k miles in good condition at what appears to be a reasonable price . This is a very rare occurrence in my area so am seriously looking at that car as a possible buy or trade in option. Drove the car yesterday and worked great just need a PPI.
I was planning on searching for a 997.2 to avoid IMS issues but having a 997.1 option in my area is very tempting

Old 11-24-2020, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
You will get hosed on any trade-in value to a dealer
Old 11-25-2020, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Install the stock wheel. It costs you nothing, speaks to originality and doesn't make the buyer wonder what else was modified.

Skip the 997.1 and wait for the right 997.2 manual.

A word or warning, I sold my 86 and bought a 997.2. Sold it a year later and bought an 89.

Former flings...
2009 Carrera S, 1986 Carrera, 1997 993, 1983 911SC, 1995 993, 1987 Carrera, 1985 Carrera
Old 11-27-2020, 12:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

RW229, thanks for the advise. I am kind of leaning away from the 997.1 due to the whole bore scoring issue but was thinking I could have a proper PPI starting with detailed boroscope inspection and go no further if there is any scoring. Been reading alot on the issue and it seems it doesn't affect all cars. Figured if it was still unscored , I would be safe with regular oil changes and proper warm. I always treated the 3.2 that way anyway. Is that not the case ?

So you got sellers remorse I guess, so nothing can replace a 3.2 ?

Last edited by Inniswhe; 11-27-2020 at 08:36 AM..
Old 11-27-2020, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
RW229, thanks for the advise. I am kind of leaning away from the 997.1 due to the whole bore scoring issue but was thinking I could have a proper PPI starting with detailed foundboroscope inspection and go no further if there is any scoring. Been reading alot on the issue and it seems it doesn't affect all cars. Figured if it was still unscored , I would be safe with regular oil changes and proper warm. I always treated the 3.2 that way anyway. Is that not the case ?

Nothing less than a 3.3 turbo or a Ruf? 89 is a good year to start. Wrap it up, for winter is coming. You can think about it next year when the prices get better, if you really want to sell it on BaT. You're still riding high, way up on the fence. Give yourself some time. Slow and steady wins the race, and therein you will make fewer mistakes they say..
Old 11-27-2020, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Interesting , I never realized the momo would have such a dramatic impact. I guess I better put the original back on . Pretty good return on a few minutes work !

Don’t take anything Duga says at face value. He owns 1 911. He has only ever owned 1 911. He spouts a ton of unfounded rubbish based on we don’t know what. If he tells you to do something do the opposite.

Leave the wheel. Include the stock wheel. The new owner will decide with zero impact on your sale price.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-27-2020, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
RW229, thanks for the advise. I am kind of leaning away from the 997.1 due to the whole bore scoring issue but was thinking I could have a proper PPI starting with detailed foundboroscope inspection and go no further if there is any scoring. Been reading alot on the issue and it seems it doesn't affect all cars. Figured if it was still unscored , I would be safe with regular oil changes and proper warm. I always treated the 3.2 that way anyway. Is that not the case ?

There is only 1 proper warm up. Get in it start it and drive it. Period. This is what Tony Callas says over and over in his rebuilding classes he teaches side by side with a Charles Novarro. The scoring comes from running rich at idle and washing down the walls and contaminating the oil. Do no idle the car to “warm it up”. Literally just start and drive it normally.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 11-27-2020, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Troll Hunter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
If he tells you to do something do the opposite.

Leave the wheel. Include the stock wheel. The new owner will decide with zero impact on your sale price.
Right. I said the same thing 9 posts ago. The Momo is a better steering wheel anyway, and the OP knows it.

Nobody is going to discount the price of a car for not having the OEM wheel in place when it's included in the sale.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
RW229, thanks for the advise. I am kind of leaning away from the 997.1 due to the whole bore scoring issue but was thinking I could have a proper PPI starting with detailed boroscope inspection and go no further if there is any scoring. Been reading alot on the issue and it seems it doesn't affect all cars. Figured if it was still unscored , I would be safe with regular oil changes and proper warm. I always treated the 3.2 that way anyway. Is that not the case ?

The .2 manual is the one to own. Better engine, interior and resale.

The G (3.0 and 3.2) is just more engaging for my fair weather weekend use. The 997 is a fast and very capable car. I guess I just prefer some nostalgia and driving a slow car fast.

Regarding the other's comment on the steering wheel... nothing wrong with the Momo, I have a Prototipo. but if selling, it doesn't add value on a stock car.

Former flings...
2009 Carrera S, 1986 Carrera, 1997 993, 1983 911SC, 1995 993, 1987 Carrera, 1985 Carrera
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: