|
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 2
|
Wire insulation is missing - abrasion or mice damage?
Hi all, I removed my front seats the other day and noticed that there were significant segments of insulation missing from a few strands of wire. This is all part of the harness underneath the seats. Harness was loose so it wasn't pinched or caught in anything. Now there is a section of bare exposed sheet metal without carpet with metal layering.
Has anyone experienced anything similar to this before? Thinking it's either possible abrasion from rubbing on something or mice ate the insulation in the past sometime? Eitherway good ol electrical tape to the rescue.
|
||
|
|
|
|
Porsche 911 Carrera S
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 71
|
I'd bet on the mice based on the pics. Did you see any mouse droppings?
|
||
|
|
|
|
MiamiTurbo
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 470
|
As someone who has owned several Porsches and British vehicles, mice love to eat stuff in our cars. But Porsche wire insulation starts to degrade after 10 years or so. Look at the wiring in our beloved runny egg headlights, mine look like that and I can say for sure it wasn't mice.
__________________
wanabe911 owner 1974 914 2156cc project 2005 Lotus Elise Original owner 2002 996TT Tip |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 2
|
No indications of mice droppings. It's very weird that only a stretch of several wires in same spot was affected so that's why I was concerned with abrasion. I repaired the damaged insulation now and sleeved this section of wire harness in a protective sheath just incase.
|
||
|
|
|