Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2025
Posts: 2
new to us 2003 922

Hey all, I am new here, but have been on rennlist alot with my old 928. Wife got a new 996, and just drove it home yesterday. Everything looks really good, and she is very happy with it.

I just had a question. The rear wheels are massive and they look cool, but the tires are hanging out from the body about 3/4 inch. tires are 285 25 20 and I feel like that is way too big. She is pretty sure they bottomed out on the test drive as the guy with her was a large human. my understanding is you are asking for trouble with the tires proud of the body panels.

I was wondering if this is asking for bent steel above the tire on the quarter panel?

Old 04-07-2025, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,078
Most folks will say 18 " wheels is the correct size for a 996 . I agree with that .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 04-08-2025, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2025
Posts: 2
I guess, what I am asking is how big can you get away with? If the tire sticks out from the fender could it cause damage?

I guess I will try and source a wheel and tire combo that fits, but they are aftermarket, so I don't even know what they are. I'll just put that on the back burner.

Also, sorry about the title, its a 911, I tried to change it, but it didn't update.
Old 04-08-2025, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,078
I would stick with the stock wheel/tire size Porsche installed at the factory . And yes if the tires sticks out past the fender full suspension compression is going to make nasty rubber/metal grinding noises and possibly damage both .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 04-08-2025, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Pittsford, NY
Posts: 3,719
Your wheels might have the wrong offset. Width is one thing but the wrong offset will could be a problem as well.
__________________
Tony G
10 Porsches come & gone!
1962 Morgan Plus 4
Old 04-09-2025, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
MrShades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 171
Garage
I would rather have 285/30 R19 tires on my car than 285/25 R20 tires.

This because when you get such a low profile as 20 it does not look that good in my mind. But this is only my opion.
Old 04-25-2025, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Mr. Merk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,342
They’re most likely Turbo-fitment wheels mounted on a narrow-body car—something I see all too often.

If you share your VIN, I can look up your car’s original wheel specs using the Porsche catalog with the VIN filter.

Assuming it’s a narrow-body Carrera 2, the most aggressive fitment you'd want while running GT3 tire sizes (235/40-18 front & 295/30-18 rear) would be:

Front: 18x8.5” ET45 or ET44

Rear: 18x11” ET60

Suncoast currently has specials on OEM wheel sets—18x8 ET52 and 18x10 ET65—which are a great match for 225/40 ZR18 and 285/30 ZR18 tire sizes.

Tirerack currently has 11 solid tire options to choose from—but hey, you only need one set!
__________________
SWB 912 - G50 Carrera - 986 Boxster - 997.2 911 Turbo - 958.2 Cayenne - 9Y3 Cayenne GTS
SOLD: 958 Cayenne Turbo S - 997 Carrera 4S - 957 Cayenne Turbo
Workshop Coordinator at Ehrlich Motorwerks
instagram.com/patrickossenkop
ehrlichmotorwerks.com
Old 04-25-2025, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2025
Posts: 17
Your wheels prolly might have the wrong offset..

Old 04-26-2025, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:53 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.