Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Deep South
Posts: 306
Garage
New to 996 - what am I missing about oil?

I have had air cooled 911 for a while and recently picked up a low mile 996 for a daily driver. After doing a bunch of reading it seems like a lot of people talk about using 0W-40 and then other people saying it’s better to use 5W-40 or 5W-50.

And I get that oil is a whole huge rabbit hole to go down but when I look in my owners manual for temps higher than 50 F it specifies from 10W-40 to 15W-50. Even for cold weather the lightest it recommends is 5W-30…. So WTF are people using 0W-40? What am I missing?

For what it’s worth I live in the Deep South and we will be lucky if it gets below 75 for the next four months. Based on the owners manual it seems like I should be running 15W-50? Did I somehow misunderstand something?

My local Wal Mart has 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 in 5W-40 and 15W-50… which one?



Last edited by REVerend; 06-15-2025 at 06:18 PM..
Old 06-15-2025, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,089
Heat shear is a killer of motor oil . I have two water cooled Porsche's and would never run 0w40 . I have been running 5w40 for years and after I use up my stash I will move up to 50w . I am pretty sure I will go with 15w50 as that weight is " generally " shear stable . I am in north Georgia and drive mountain roads at a good pace . Oil temps really climb on a 90 + degree day .

Let's not forget that mother Porsche is now recommending 5w50 for 986/996 engines . I won't go down the rabbit hole of what brand of oil to use . I would suggest pick a brand and do a VOA . Then do a UOA after 3,000 miles . The data will tell you all you need to know about your brand of oil choice . Alter brands as needed and let the data be your guide .

__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 06-16-2025, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:47 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.