Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Alansdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2025
Location: Canton, ga
Posts: 14
Unhappy help me update my 996

I recently founfd and bought a 99 996.It was owned by an 85 year old lady who stored it in a barn, on a dirt floor, and her road out was dirt and gravel, to the main county road.As she hadn't driven it in the past year more than a few times,I took it easy then after warm up and some miles on the highway I drove it 70-80 mph for the 6 hours home .I was fine all the way except I could tell the tires were old and dry.
Got it to my favorite Porsche shop and they serviced it, put some BG 44K in oil and gas, and gave me a long wish list of stuff.
first off I ordered a set of tires, and next I will get a set of struts.Then then there is a full degrease and underside steam cleaning this next week.
My list includes;vacuum line r and r,,coolant hose tee, cam covers, rear main seal,sparkplugs,Air filter, brake service, fluid change, trans service, fluid change- it's tiptronic,engine mounts,outer tie rod end, sway bar links.

I am on a bit of a budget, and need to prioritize.What would you do ?

Im doing tires and struts first...
I will keep this car a long time I had my last 911 for 27 years. the car has 101k on it, and was generally well serviced according to records. thanks all for advice here.
(I am a long time Pelican and Porsche owner who used to do my own service and repairs, but now at 76, I can no longer do much of that)


__________________
3 time 911 owner.most recently Had 2000 986S .now 1999 996. coupe with tiptronic.

Last edited by Alansdavid; 08-09-2025 at 04:55 AM..
Old 08-09-2025, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Rapewta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 984
Mileage? Wouldn't hurt to do some stuff you can do at home. New serpentine belt. Water pump.
Fluid motor mounts. Aside from the normal maintenance required, those came up at 70K miles.
__________________
67 396 corvette coupe. Sold
66 351 AC Cobra kit. Sold
99 996 man coupe
2001 911 Turbo man coupe
Old 08-09-2025, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,089
With 101k miles it's safe to say most/all the suspension bushings are shot . So if you are doing struts go ahead and replace all the suspension pieces IF your shop agrees that it is needed . What shop are you using ? I am north of you in Dahlonega .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 08-09-2025, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2025
Posts: 1
I'd prioritize around safety and items that can cause more damage from a failure. Coolant items, etc. A radiator with plastic end tanks at 26 years old is an item to consider.
Old 08-12-2025, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Alansdavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2025
Location: Canton, ga
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
With 101k miles it's safe to say most/all the suspension bushings are shot . So if you are doing struts go ahead and replace all the suspension pieces IF your shop agrees that it is needed . What shop are you using ? I am north of you in Dahlonega .
I've used Freed Performance on my Boxster for a few years, they're excellent but very pricey.My son is a good tech , he will help me.I ordered plugs and will do those next.Struts will need to be done later,as well as bump stops ,etc.Ive ordered a set of tires too.

__________________
3 time 911 owner.most recently Had 2000 986S .now 1999 996. coupe with tiptronic.

Last edited by Alansdavid; 08-16-2025 at 04:45 AM..
Old 08-14-2025, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:12 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.