Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Butch355
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 28
997 3.8 burning oil and running hot fixed (no engine repair needed)

So I purchased a high mile (over 100k) 2007 997 Targa 4s a few months ago. The owner stated it used at least 1 quart every 1000 miles. I also noticed some smoke at start up every start.

Well the car did use over 1 quart per 1000 miles and the oil temp always was above 220 even when on road at 65 with easy driving.

First thing I did was change out the plugs and the coil packs since they were all OE from 2007. I did borescope and luckily saw no scoring thank god!

Next I changed oil and ran BG EPR and clean out the system.

On the oil change I added BG MOA and also tried Engine Restore.

Well, good news! Been over 1000 miles and oil is still at the top off mark (Not added one drop and before might have added over 1.5 quarts at this point).

Also the oil temp stays around 200 unless the car is driven hard to 220, then will drop back to 200 when cruising.

No smoke at start up.

I wonder if one of the oil rings was sticky or what happened but I could not be more happy.

FYI for others with a cheap easy fix before going to the next level.

Old 08-13-2025, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,097
Congratulations on the inexpensive repair . Hopefully it stays that way .

__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 08-13-2025, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:46 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.