|
|
|
|
|
|
The Dude abides...
|
IMS Thoughts/Opinions Please...
I recently purchased a 2003 C4S with 91k'ish miles. Very clean specimen and all mechanical aspects sorted and in great working order.
First, I absolutely love the car. I have really come to admire the 996 lines, especially the wide body examples. I had been coveting a 996 turbo and truth be told I still do. I still will likely own a 996 turbo at some point. Anyway, back to the 4S The previous owner addressed the IMS bearing in 2019 with a LN Engineering single row "retrofit" model 106-08.2.2 which is good for 6 years or 75,000 miles after which it is to be replaced...again. Two questions. According to LN Engineering my bearing model has a finite lifespan and is technically due for replacement. 1. I would assume there is a minimum engineering factor built into the recommended replacement schedule (30% or more?). With this in mind, and given that the miles clocked since the retrofit are significantly less than 75,000, I'm guessing that I have a bit of time to figure out next steps. What are your thoughts? 2. Of the options for 'next steps' the LN Engineering oil-fed IMS "Solution" is marketed as the "only permanent solution for the IMS bearing. It is quite a bit more expensive, but given that I don't know how many years I'll own the vehicle, it might be the way to go. If I do choose to sell her (can't imagine that at the moment), it could also be a significant selling point. Have any of you fellow 996 owners made the choice of installing the oil-fed IMS solution? One bonus question...hey, they're free right? That wasn't the bonus question. How many have replaced the cartridge-type oil filter with a spin-on adapter, and what are the thoughts? (yes, I realize I combined two questions into my so-called bonus question. Anyhow, I look forward to the surge of replies generated from the seemingly 2-3 members that monitor this sad and lonely thread.
__________________
Steve '03 Carrera 4S |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,103
|
I have a 1999 996 C4 and a 2002 Boxster S and both have the IMS Solution installed . I wanted the best and I consider the Solution the best . With that comes the spin on adapter and I use Wix 51348 filters . In my opinion with all things being equal a car with the Solution is worth more than one that doesn't . My Boxster has been going strong for 10 years with no issues . The 996 about three years now . If there is oil in the engine the Solution works . Period . I had both of my engines built by FSI so I may be biased . But I have never heard of one failing .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler . |
||
|
|
|
|
The Dude abides...
|
Thanks for the reply.
And in full disclosure I fully intend to address the IMS, just looking for discourse regarding the 'when' and the 'with what' aspects of the job. Thanks again. Quote:
__________________
Steve '03 Carrera 4S |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
|
Once LN released the dual row IMS Solution, we found that we installed very few of the ceramic hybrid bearings as owners recognized that the Solution was a "once and done" option that not only eliminated the problem, but also increased the resale value of the car when the time came.
__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........." |
||
|
|
|
|
The Dude abides...
|
Thanks, JFP!
Would you mind sharing what you typically charge at your shop for the service? Do you purchase the hardware or does the customer, and then you provide the labor? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect. Also, where in PA is your shop? I'm in West/Central NJ. Steve Quote:
__________________
Steve '03 Carrera 4S |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
|
Cost depends upon multiple factors such as Tip vs. manual, IMS only or including clutch, flywheel, RMS, etc.; so the window is pretty large.
I am no longer in PA and am now about 750 miles to the south...............
__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........." |
||
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,103
|
JFP is your shop now in NC ?
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler . |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 1,345
|
I think the Solution is the only way to go.
We had our first IMS failure this week. Pretty wild. It was one of the very early LN replacements that had a 4yr/50k interval. They haven't sold any of these in twelve years and the car had more than 150k miles. True mileage unknown.
__________________
SWB 912 - G50 Carrera - 986 Boxster - 997.2 911 Turbo - 958.2 Cayenne SOLD: 9Y3 Cayenne GTS - 958 Cayenne Turbo S - 997 Carrera 4S - 957 Cayenne Turbo Workshop Coordinator at Ehrlich Motorwerks instagram.com/patrickossenkop ehrlichmotorwerks.com |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
|
__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........." |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,103
|
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler . |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Feb 2025
Posts: 7
|
IMS Questions
If you do the LN Solution, it will have the spin on filter (bonus option in relation to the bonus question). If you keep the vehicle long term, the Solution pays for itself. If you sell the vehicle, it is a selling point because the next owner wont need to spend the $ for the re-do down the road. Some folks figure they will have it apart later on for a clutch down the road, but to me, permanent, once and done is preferred. Possibly wait for a sale if the timing works out and the price won't be as significant, perhaps. Pelican has the 1X per year 10% of for PCA Members.
|
||
|
|
|
|
911SC Tinkerer
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 772
|
Steve,
I installed a LN/ RND RS Roller bearing in my M96/05 997. NO issues after 5 years / 25k miles thus far. Had I to do it over again I would choose the IMS Solution, but I plan on keeping the car and doing a 4.1L rebuild within the next 2 years. If you want a budget piece of mind, I’d give it a look. If money isn’t a consideration, go for the IMS Solution. I did the work in my garage on jack stands but I recommend a lift if you have access. Keep in mind the RMS, shift cable ends, clutch, and flywheel will be within “while you’re in there” range and will increase the cost dramatically. You will also have to rent or buy the tools. I bought mine and threw them in my tool container for later. I also currently have the spin on oil filter adapter. Only minor complaint was the way they have you install the adapter can lead to you rounding off the corners if you are not perfectly square. I wish they would provide holes in the circumference of the adapter so you could use coilover type wrenches with a hand tight+angle tightening specification. Changing the filer is much easier although I do see issues with “correct” filter availability. Try not to get analysis paralysis. There are a lot of good choices out there. -Steve if FL.
__________________
-'83 911SC Coupe Instagram: @ Zinnmetallic_sc |
||
|
|
|
|
The Dude abides...
|
Thanks for the information, Steve. Very helpful.
I considered doing the work myself in the garage…on jack stands as you suggest. I don’t own a lift. Back in 2013-14 I removed the engine and transmission of my ‘87 targa using this method to address the obligatory broken head studs issue. Tore the engine down to the short block, reassembled and returned it to its place. Good experience, but I think this time around I’ll leave it to the pros. In the meantime, I’m hoping to seize on any price drops on the IMS Solution and then negotiate with a shop to do the install. The “while you’re in there” items you suggest are certainly top of mind as well. I’ve not yet identified a Porsche repair shop as of yet. Still doing my homework. Thanks again for your thoughts. Steve |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
|
"In the meantime, I’m hoping to seize on any price drops on the IMS Solution and then negotiate with a shop to do the install."
Good luck with that..............
__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........." |
||
|
|
|
|
The Dude abides...
|
|||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,103
|
Quote:
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler . |
||
|
|
|
|
The Dude abides...
|
|||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,103
|
Even better !
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler . |
||
|
|
|