Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC , USA
Posts: 285
Garage
Lightweight flywheel

I have a 2002 996 and im looking for a.lightweight flywheel. Please let me know what you have.

__________________
Randy
2002 911 carrera ( new project car)1987 944S (sold),1968 912 (sold),1999 911 (996) (sold),1971 911E (sold),1986 944 Turbo (sold)
Old 01-07-2026, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC , USA
Posts: 285
Garage
Got one!
__________________
Randy
2002 911 carrera ( new project car)1987 944S (sold),1968 912 (sold),1999 911 (996) (sold),1971 911E (sold),1986 944 Turbo (sold)
Old 01-08-2026, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,096
Unless you balance ALL rotating parts to race spec you will probably regret the purchase . Good luck .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 01-08-2026, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC , USA
Posts: 285
Garage
Not true but thanks......
__________________
Randy
2002 911 carrera ( new project car)1987 944S (sold),1968 912 (sold),1999 911 (996) (sold),1971 911E (sold),1986 944 Turbo (sold)
Old 01-08-2026, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
no mon no fun
 
scoe911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,078
Garage
Go with Aasco at FCP Euro. Also get a harmonically damped underdrive pulley and you're all good.
__________________
1982sc coupe

Last edited by scoe911; 01-20-2026 at 03:29 PM..
Old 01-20-2026, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC , USA
Posts: 285
Garage
Spec

Went with a SPEC setup.
__________________
Randy
2002 911 carrera ( new project car)1987 944S (sold),1968 912 (sold),1999 911 (996) (sold),1971 911E (sold),1986 944 Turbo (sold)
Old 01-22-2026, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
no mon no fun
 
scoe911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,078
Garage
Vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by randykyra View Post
Went with a SPEC setup.
Keep us posted, I have the same plans for summer along with the 82mm plenum and 82mm throttle body. Already got a full stainless exhaust from Top Gear in 2022 before the tariffs. More air in more air out. It's nothing but a 3.4L air pump, right?
__________________
1982sc coupe
Old 01-22-2026, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
JFP in PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by randykyra View Post
Not true but thanks......
You wouldn't be the first to find out otherwise.......
__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........."
Old 01-22-2026, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
I have driven 2.5 years and approximately 20K km with Aasco LWFW and center sprung Sachs clutch plate on M96 engine - which have been about 50% heavy track use and rest street use. Works real well and could'n be happier of the much faster engine response.
I did get the LWFW and clutch package balanced as a set at the local race team's machine shop.
Old 01-22-2026, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered
 
JFP in PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
I did get the LWFW and clutch package balanced as a set at the local race team's machine shop.
Which is probably what saved your bacon.............
__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........."
Old 01-22-2026, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Raleigh, NC , USA
Posts: 285
Garage
Opinions

I have found there are many people that have opinions. Some good, some bad. Maybe I regret the upgrade, but I highly doubt it. But it's mine to live with, Right!
The order took some time to get. Spec had to machine the new Flywheel but I finally got it yesterday.
I'm doing a complete engine swap. The original engine has 198K and a cracked head. I found a 2003 C4S 3.6l engine with a complete header back stainless exhaust system to put in. I'm doing all the maintenance stuff while the engine is out (Ims, RMS, plugs, Oil water separator). The things that are engine out stuff. Oh, I did locate a Mantis deep sump oil pan that I'm going to install.
It's been cooled here in NC so I'll get to it soon.
__________________
Randy
2002 911 carrera ( new project car)1987 944S (sold),1968 912 (sold),1999 911 (996) (sold),1971 911E (sold),1986 944 Turbo (sold)
Old 02-05-2026, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered
 
super9064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 598
I had a light weight fly wheel in my RS America, if I took my foot off the gas approaching a light or slowing for traffic with the AC on the car would stall, both incredibly annoying and dangerous, my 2 cent’s
__________________
Rob
Old 02-08-2026, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
jwetering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: north vancouver, bc, canada
Posts: 1,738
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You wouldn't be the first to find out otherwise.......
I installed a used AASCO LWFW and a Sachs spring centered clutch about 12 or 15 years ago.

I've put about 100,000 hard street and touring miles on it since then.

No issues whatsoever with reliability - although the chatter at idle is annoying.
__________________
jasper
2002 996 - arctic silver - PSS9, H&R sways,X51 oil pan, console delete, AASCO liteweight flywheel, gbox detent, RS motor mounts, 997 shifter. Great car.
past: another 2002 996 and a 1978 SC with-webers-cams-etc.

Last edited by jwetering; 03-03-2026 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-03-2026, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered
 
JFP in PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwetering View Post
I installed a used AASCO LWFW and a Sachs spring centered clutch about 12 or 15 years ago.

I've put about 100,000 hard street and touring miles on it since then.

No issues whatsoever with reliability - although the chatter at idle is annoying.
Congratulations, you got lucky........but not everyone does

__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........."
Old 03-03-2026, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:39 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.