Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
997 stereo head unit R&R

I have a 2006 Carrera2S with the Bose sound system upgrade. I'm trying to remove the head unit to have it repaired. The unit skips channels and sometimes I don't get any audio when the unit is on. Anyway. I looked at several videos on removing the unit. I get to the point of rotating all 4 of the 5mm allen head cam bolts, but the unit feels like it's bolted in...I saw in some of the videos that there is a 7mm bolt to remove on the passenger side, but I don't see that on my unit. I don't want to force anything, does anyone have suggestions? Thanks so much!

Old 01-27-2026, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
MBAtarga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lawrenceville GA 30045
Posts: 7,551
I don't recall any other fasteners holding the unit in the dash on my 06 when I owned one. Other than the Torx fasteners to remove the carpet trim pieces and the side covers the cam fasteners are it. My 997.2 has the same 4 cam fasteners as the 997.1. The top cams are a pain to get to!
__________________
Mark

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
'11 911 S w/PDK - from 7/2/2021 to ???
Old 01-28-2026, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Hey Mark, thanks so much for your response, Those 5mm allen head cams are hard to get to....maybe I just need to keep trying. I thought I had rotated them proplerly, but I will keep trying. Thanks again
Old 01-28-2026, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 12
Finally got the head unit out! One of the rotating cams was broken and the locking tab was missing. I was able to depress the other 3 locking tabs and get the unit out. Mark, thanks again for your comment! Drive safe!
Old 01-28-2026, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
MBAtarga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lawrenceville GA 30045
Posts: 7,551
I've removed/replaced the head unit a few times while installing the Mr12Volt Carplay accessory. Every time those cams gave me fits. I've striped 1 of the 4 so only 3 are now installed. I don't think there is any risk in the unit flying out either way.

__________________
Mark

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
'11 911 S w/PDK - from 7/2/2021 to ???
Old 01-29-2026, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:57 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.