Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 97
Garage
Tire Installation - Costco or Discount Tire OK?

I have a 2002 996TT with 19" Techart Wheels. I purchased a set of 18" Hollow Turbo Twist Wheels on a Rennlist classified ad. I'm now interested in switching out the wheels to get the car back to "original". Just checking to see if there would be any reason not to use Costco Tire or Discount Tire for purchase and installation of the tires?

Old 01-28-2026, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
JFP in PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
Depends upon how little you care about your wheels or car..............
__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........."
Old 01-28-2026, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 97
Garage
I definitely want to make sure it's done with no damage to the wheels or the car. Any recommendations for a reputable tire supplier/installer?
Old 01-28-2026, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
JFP in PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Earth.............
Posts: 2,908
Tire Rack is quite good; they also have a list of local installers they have qualified. You need one with Hunter Road Force balancing capabilities and a decent review............
__________________
Accrochez-vous bien de vos rêves..........."
Old 01-28-2026, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Jose, Ca
Posts: 877
You can buy the tires at Costco and have them installed at a good tire shop. You lose any benefits of the Costco purchase but if the price is better than the Tire Rack, I’d buy them at Costco. Have done so in the past with no issues.
Tony
__________________
Tony
1973 914 2.2 FAT Black
1974 911 Targa Lime Green
2018 Macan GTS White
2019 Targa GTS Agate Grey
Old 01-28-2026, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Porsche 911 Carrera S
 
OldSharp997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 71
I've used a specific Discount Tire shop in Arlington, TX for a few Porsche tire purchases and mountings. Be prepared to watch over the work even if you trust the crew. They had Road Force balancer. Get shop recommendations...
Old 01-29-2026, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
I used Tire Rack and they were shipped to Discount TIre it all went great
__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.
Old 02-01-2026, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 25
I buy from Tire Rack because they give you a free two year warranty on all tires purchased, except race tires. I just got a free tire for a nail in the sideways. America's Tire and the rest of them want to charge you for the warranty.

Order from Tire Rack and have them sent to the installer of your choice. I use America's Tire as they hav the money to outfit all their facilities with the newest hunter equipment, and I've yet to have an issue with a damaged wheel. I don't like the company but I use them.

Tire Rack and America's tire and discount Tire are owned by the same entity now.
Old 02-05-2026, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2026
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.wilson1 View Post
I have a 2002 996TT with 19" Techart Wheels. I purchased a set of 18" Hollow Turbo Twist Wheels on a Rennlist classified ad. I'm now interested in switching out the wheels to get the car back to "original". Just checking to see if there would be any reason not to use Costco Tire or Discount Tire for purchase and installation of the tires?
It depends
Old 02-05-2026, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
MiamiTurbo
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 470
I have the same question I need new tires on my 02 911 Turbo. Was shopping Tire Rack and want to buy the N spec tire same as is on my car now which are pushing 8 years old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
wanabe911 owner
1974 914 2156cc project
2005 Lotus Elise Original owner
2002 996TT Tip
Old 02-17-2026, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:47 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.