Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 996/997/991 Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
996 exhaust

opinions needed on 996 muffler delete pipes, are they crazy loud or ?

__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.
Old 05-24-2026, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,078
Opinions on " loud " vary greatly . If you keep your cats that helps a little on sound . To my ears straight pipes are too loud with or without cats .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 05-24-2026, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
cats Wii stay
__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.
Old 05-24-2026, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard
 
RarlyL8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 15,098
Garage
Muffler delete on a 996 is loud, drones and the tone sounds like a$$. Better option is to add that little partial bypass on each muffler, AKA gundo hack. If you want it loud but with a good tone the cats have to go and tuned equal length headers added. My opinion others may vary.
__________________
RarlyL8 Motorsports / M&K Exhaust - 911/930 Exhaust Systems, Turbos, TiAL, CIS Mods/Rebuilds
'78 911SC Widebody, 930 engine, 915 Tranny, K27, SC Cams, RL8 Headers & GT3 Muffler. 350whp @ 0.75bar
Brian B. (256)536-9977 Service@MKExhaust Brian@RarlyL8
Old 05-25-2026, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,078
My 996 has aftermarket headers , catless x-pipe and some aftermarket SS mufflers of unknown manufacturer . I bought the mufflers used and cheap . Around town she's docile , mash the throttle and she has a nice growl with no resonance and not too loud .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 05-25-2026, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
well I got such a good deal on the set up with nice tips,I'm going to do it.we will hear how it goes, there's a full set of mufflers and pipes for s lot more cash i saw, but can't do that one.
__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.
Old 05-27-2026, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
wanted the gundo hack but being disabled it was not for me.Theses pipes came along and my son did them. the are too loud like a 10 but I prefer an 8 .
I've seen the inserts you can use, just don't know which would suit me, my mufflers were very rusty and the chrome looks better there. I ll look at car chemisrtry
and others
__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.
Old 06-01-2026, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
question two or three discs?
__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.
Old 06-01-2026, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Deep South
Posts: 306
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD View Post
well I got such a good deal on the set up with nice tips,I'm going to do it.we will hear how it goes, there's a full set of mufflers and pipes for s lot more cash i saw, but can't do that one.
You get the muffler bypass set on Amazon for $120 or so? The Fabspeed version for $700 just seemed ridiculously overpriced for a few feet of tubing and tips. The reviews for the presumably Chinese made ones on Amazon were good, and it’s not like they are some critical stressed piece. The look great and fit up well, have had it on my 996 cabriolet for about a year and ~5k miles. It sounds incredible, particularly at high RPM.

Installation is really simple… I just jacked it up enough to take off the rear wheel on each side as I put them on. It’s maybe an hour project if you take a long time about it. Would be easy to swap the factory mufflers back on if I wanted but haven’t bothered yet.

Only time it’s been a bit too much was on a ~1,500 mile road trip. I had the removable hard top on the car which didn’t quite cut the sound as much as I thought it might. For daily driving it’s great, it’s my usual commute car when the weather is decent.

The cat definitely keeps the sound from being too much… I have a cat bypass on my 911SC and occasionally run a muffler bypass as well. It sounds amazing but it is hearing damage loud if you get on it much so most of the time I have a Fabspeed SuperCup on it. The SC with cat bypass and supercup is louder than 996 with cats but with muffler bypass.

Last edited by REVerend; 06-06-2026 at 05:43 PM..
Old 06-06-2026, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Deep South
Posts: 306
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD View Post
question two or three discs?
What are the disks?
Old 06-06-2026, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVerend View Post
What are the disks?
Go on the Car Chemistry website you will see what ASD is asking about . My opinion is go 3 disc's if they will physically fit . I would also wrap the perforated tube with exhaust rated fiberglass . I wish the CC discs/tubes were made of stainless steel .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 06-08-2026, 02:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
I bought the car chemistry baffles, got a few emails back and forth with the owner.
I also got the fiber glass exhaust wrap to compensate the size
.Both pipes with chrome tips were 100 bucks, the baffles are cheap too I'm a bit of a miser.
I'm excited to get them on, the pipes alone are too loud for me, but you don't know until you know.
__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.

Last edited by ASD; 06-13-2026 at 04:31 AM..
Old 06-13-2026, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
 
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
the cc baffles were too big, the size was 2.5" I sent them back got the 2" they're to small,I feel like
goldilocks, I'll order the 2.25" that seems to be the one.
I'll be visiting a Porsche shop near me for their opinion.
__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.
Old 06-15-2026, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered
 
rfuerst911sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 16,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASD View Post
the cc baffles were too big, the size was 2.5" I sent them back got the 2" they're to small,I feel like
goldilocks, I'll order the 2.25" that seems to be the one.
I'll be visiting a Porsche shop near me for their opinion.
Sheesh you don't own a tape measure or calipers ? Anyway good luck .
__________________
2002 Boxster S . Arctic silver + black top/int. Jake Raby 3.6 SS engine " the beast ". GT3 front bumper, GT3 side skirts and GT3 TEK rear diffuser. 1999 996 C4 coupe black/grey with FSI 3.8 engine . Rear diffuser , front spoiler lip with ducktail spoiler .
Old 06-15-2026, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
ASD ASD is offline
Registered
 
ASD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: canton, GA
Posts: 1,065
Garage
well I ordered the 2.25 baffles and they fit very nicely.
Drone is mostly nil,overall sound is still loud but tolerable.Car Chemistry was helpful, and responsive.

And no I couldnt measure as I only have one usable hand,thank you.//

__________________
1999 Carrera2 tip arena red
2000 Boxster S tip...arena red ....black
1981 911sc targa...grey mkt.import...Rosewood
1978 911SC, guards red sunroof delete .much missed
73 914 2.0 found in a bunch of cardboard boxes, and brought back from the dead.
Old 06-29-2026, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:55 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.