|
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
|
Sport and Sport Plus buttons, Sport Chrono (997.2)
So, I had an interesting experience this past week, and I thought I would share with you guys my experience. Cause like a lot of things, such tend to be something that others can benefit from. Lord knows I have benefited many times by the hive brain here at Pelican on various issues. As a former dealer mechanic in the late 70's, I am pretty good on analog stuff. With any computer, I know just enough to be dangerous.
So, out of the blue, my Sport and Sport Plus, and PASM (shock) buttons stopped working. I could push them, but no response in the suspension or exhaust note, nor did the lights on the buttons light up. Not a boy racer, so hadn't been using them much. Doing some web searching on the problem, I discovered how to take the dash panel of buttons off, to check for sticky buttons. Being right below the cup holder, moisture can drip from an ice cold cup or bottle, etc. Connect, clean, reconnect and replace. There are some suggested "resets" like turning the key (not the engine) on, and pushing the accelerator to the floor. Battery disconnect and reconnect. Locating the Damptronic (Bilstein manufactured) module up under the passenger side dash. Disconnect, clean and re-connect. All looking for any green signs of corrosion, without seeing any, and without any change in the condition. In this process of disconnect/reconnects, I started getting dash messages about "PASM failure", "Sport" setting failure, etc. The web talks about "Gateway resets" and the need for "a professional tech". Like the latter will waive a magic want at it. I do understand the PIWIS systems and proprietary "dealer only" limitations that they are putting in the cars these days. I thought my 997.2 (2011) C4S was somewhat behind those later developments and limitations. Apparently not far enough. I started looking at the PIWIS 3 and 4 equipment and software available out there. A bit put off by the warnings of "some features are dealer only". But still considering the upgrade from my old Innova (OBDII) handheld, which is good enough to read and clear obvious codes. But I was literally comparing the Foxwell, KKS (PIWIS), iCar, and latest Innova offerings, figuring I ought to up my game a bit anyway. And checking with my local indy shops as to whether they had this kind of capability re assistance. (Today, our nearest dealer is two hours away). And then - illumination this morning. It occurred to me that my Sport Chrono equipped car had a menu to activate the Chrono clock. In clicking through the left side lower stalk menus, I found it (and a Limit feature, more on that in a minute). I wondered what would happen if I engaged the Chrono clock. Voila'... The buttons all lit up, and functioned. Not sure whether it is a major system reset, but it did the trick. So, a software/computer glitch, or alley, that I had not been down. Notes on all of this to my car file. I also suspect, having clicked through the "Limit" feature, that there is a Valet Lockout (that I may have wandered through at some point checking TPM setting, tire pressures, oil status, etc.). It makes sense that a car like this, with the features it has, would have a method of preventing the young valet from getting crazy with your car. Anyway, thought I would share, for any similarly situated adventurers. Happy Trails. |
||
|
|
|