Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
geoffbaltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Posts: 328
Garage
New Trans...Lube Recommendations

I wasted my 3rd gear on the track last month in my 86 Turbo. I've been waiting for that. It had the non LSD with cooler (016R 5P). I always promised myself when it went that it was going to be replaced by a Turbo S (016R AOR) tranny.

Guess what I got? Found one from an 88 Turbo S street car with 81K miles that had the infamous fuel rail fire. I am cleaning it up and am going to change the gear lube while it's out of the car.

Questions:

I'm thinking of cracking it to check it out. What would you do?

I have always used Red Line but am hearing that Mobil 1 gear lube is better. Thoughts?

-g

__________________
Geoff Baltz - St. Louis Region PCA
Board Member/DE Chairman
PCA HPDE Instructor

Last edited by geoffbaltz; 10-12-2005 at 06:45 PM..
Old 10-12-2005, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Sound
Posts: 2,880
I've always used Mobil 1 and haven't had any problems. Can't speak for RedLine. Honestly I don't think there's much difference possible.
__________________
---------
Silver 1998 Volvo S70 T5 <- Daily (Anja)
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 10-12-2005, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
yeah, i don't think there's much of a difference.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 10-16-2005, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier
 
Porsche-O-Phile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A Rock Surrounded by a Whole lot of Water
Posts: 34,187
Garage
Going with Mobil 1 in the 951 this weekend. Just put Swepco in the n/a but haven't driven it yet. I'll give a report on both.
__________________
A car, a 911, a motorbike and a few surfboards

Black Cars Matter
Old 10-25-2005, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
cchyper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Stuttgart, WA
Posts: 356
Send a message via AIM to cchyper Send a message via Yahoo to cchyper
Call me stupid but i just used 80 90 Valvoline in mine last weekend.

"these are as smooth as eggs"

- dave chappelle

Old 10-25-2005, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:55 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.