|
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17
|
Lost boost..Help!
3 weeks and $2000 into my 86 951 resto I've stumbled into a new problem...
After DIY'ing all new suspension parts and new tires, a local German specialist shop did wheel alignment and fixed heater (vacuum line off). I'm thinking finally I get to have some fun! But wait..now instead of 1.8 bars, I'm only getting a little more than 1. Runs like a n/a! The shop looked it over, replaced a few "brittle" vacuum lines, but still no boost. I clamped the line to the wastegate, but still no boost. Anyone else experience sudden boost loss in conjunction with a heater repair? Any ideas are appreciated. |
||
|
|
|
|
winter-hater club member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: salt lake city, utah
Posts: 24,705
|
do you have a leak on the high pressure side of the turbo?
__________________
2000 Corvette - ????, 2007 Buell XB9R - Astrid, 1996 Discovery - Piglet, 2000 Forester "COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17
|
I don't think so, but I'm willing to rule out every possible item.
I'll check any connections I can get to tonite. Thanks |
||
|
|
|
|
winter-hater club member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: salt lake city, utah
Posts: 24,705
|
i'd start at the turbo and work your way around to the throttle body. also, you can put an air hose from a compressor into one of the fittings and give it 5 or 6 pounds of pressure and see if it hisses.
__________________
2000 Corvette - ????, 2007 Buell XB9R - Astrid, 1996 Discovery - Piglet, 2000 Forester "COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 200
|
I'd pressure test it with an air compressor and check the bypass valve/diverter valve to make sure it can hold vacuum.
__________________
Stock 1988 951, TT aero wipers |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 2,938
|
Ditto the bypass valve near the coolant reservoir.
__________________
Lawrence 1986 951 2002 SLK32 AMG 1987 328GTS 2011 528i |
||
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
|
If it's a possitive side vac leak large enough to give zero boost, it will be an event to hear. If it's something allowing it all to go away, your car won't be the same at all. Metered air not getting to the motor, free-spooling turbo rushing at 150k rpm... it won't be quiet!
__________________
Kevin Reagan 1987 Guards Red 951 (Lorelei-- the 18psi temptress) 247whp/299wtq @16psi ...312wtq at 18psi, mmmm, torque! |
||
|
|
|