|
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
|
Vlave Stem Seal Replacment
I've been noticing a bit of smoke out the tailpipe for a while now. It use to clear itself within about a 1/4 mile. Now it takes a bit longer and mildly noticeable at idle. Car has got 88k on it and I am the original owner. I've used M1 15/50 synthetic since about the 3rd oil change (about 10k miles). I suspect it probably needs valve stem seals. Before I dig into this, I was wondering if there are any sites out there or forum members with hints and/or instructions on replacing valve stem seals. Any help would be most appreciative. Thanks a bunch.
__________________
86 951 blk |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: south Africa
Posts: 209
|
Maybe its not the valve stem seals, they still should be ok with 88k and synthetic oil.
One of my injectors leaked - and it blew some smoke on startup and when accelerating - replaced injector smoke gone.
__________________
1983 944 RHD Original. Uses all my spare cash! 1947 Morris Sold 1972 Benz Sold 1975 Benz Sold 1976 Benz Sold 1977 Benz Sold |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
|
Quote:
__________________
86 951 blk |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 484
|
What color is the smoke? White is coolant, blue is oil, black is unburned fuel/carbon build up.
Check the spark plugs. The insulators should be a dark yellow to orange color. Bright Orange/Yellow to white indicates a lean fuel/air mixture, while brown to black indicates rich mixture and/or oil burning. While you're at it, check the intercooler hard pipes. Turbos like to leak oil.
__________________
Cliff Hipsher '87 944 India Red '86 951 Kalahari Metallic |
||
|
|
|