Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monett, MO
Posts: 1,085
Ok, need help...err advice,

Here's the situation...a friend buys a new set of cheap autothority chips off of ebay for a stock '87 951 w/ a lindsey boost enhancer, he installs them and was enjoying them until a 4th gear pull, 130mph, poof, white smoke, blown headgasket.

Car is now dropped off for me to fix.

To my surprise, the headgasket is blown at the #1 cylinder, I'm used to it being the #3/#4. Oh well, moving on. Everything looked good in the cylinders, pistons had even clearance around the bores, no scratches, yadda yadda. The head checks out good, even the exhaust guides were good, just needed to lap the valves a bit and install new seals. Skimmed the head just to clean it for the headgasket. All is back together and this thing is a mosquito fogger! The 1st cylinder is loaded with oil, even crawling up the threads of the plug and on the washer; #2, #3, #4 plugs a white as can be, looking a bit lean & hot. This was just last night at 1:00 A.M. so I didn't spend too much time looking at it, ready to go home. Due to the volume of oil, and how it was crawling up the threads of the plugs I'm thinking the oil control ring was damaged when the headgasket let go. I really don't think a valve guide seal would put out that much oil. Guys.....your opinions? I'll do a leakdown and compression test tonight, I wasn't going to mess with it last night since I could see a little oil pooled on the piston top. It would throw my readings off anyways. Ooh, I just had a thought...if there is even more oil on top of the pistons maybe it could be the valve guide seals...

Alright guys, sorry for rambling, I typically have the answers not questions. This is a first for me, I've never had this type of thing happen. Anyone blow out the oil control ring when they blew a headgasket? I've seen a bent rod because of it but not this, errr.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monett, MO
Posts: 1,085
Hell, I wonder if it is just the oil control ring if it will even be detectable by the leakdown and compression test. The compression rings are good I'm sure, hmmm...
Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
winter-hater club member
 
nynor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: salt lake city, utah
Posts: 24,705
turbo blow by? (i know, sounds dumb...)
__________________
2000 Corvette - ????, 2007 Buell XB9R - Astrid, 1996 Discovery - Piglet, 2000 Forester

"COOL PRIUS!" - Nobody Ever
Old 03-21-2006, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monett, MO
Posts: 1,085
nope, it's just the 1st cylinder.

I don't think I'm going to mess with it tonight, but I had a thought. I'm going to run it for a bit, shut it down, rotate #1 to TDC, I'll pull the fuel rail and wait to see if oil pools on top of the intake valve, if not it's probably the oil control ring...yikes
Old 03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
sayporsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Salem, Oregon
Posts: 557
Garage
Hmm . . . I'm confused. You said you replaced the valve seals, but you are thinking it may still be a valve guide seal. Is there more than one seal per valve?

It does seem unlikely that a bad valve guide seal could soak a cylinder like that. However, these cars have been known to blow the seals off their perches if too much boost gets up the valve guides. I heard that Porsche issued a TSB to use Loctite when installing the seals to help hold them down.

You may want to confirm the integrity of the hose from the cycling valve to the wastegate. If it's broken or plugged it will overboost. I would also confirm the setting on the Lindsey Boost Enhancer.

Best of luck,
__________________
Jeff
78 911SC, Silver/Black, H4's, Recaros, 964 Cams, Custom Exhaust, 16" 930 Fuchs. Lowered & Loud
Old 03-21-2006, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monett, MO
Posts: 1,085
Valve guides seals were replaced, just thinking that it may have come loose or was damaged. Car hasn't been boosted at all yet, I took it for a 5 min. test drive to clear out the coolant out of the exhaust. The hose and the setting are good, I just replaced the hose when I put it back together. Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to work on it tonight but after I change my 1/2 shafts on my car. I broke the drivers side one last night!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
ae1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,530
Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
I have had exhaust side valve stem seals pop off..........

IT SMOKED LIKE IT WAS GOING OUT OF style............ the oil was pooling quite a bit.......

Were the guides notched? I have seem some of the original heads have no notches on the guides. The stems were glued in to place. I made the rookie mistake of not swapping the guides or at least glueing the seals.

Pull the intake to get a peek. I discovered mine when I pulled the header........
__________________
Alex - PCA Polar Region - Boxster Muncher
86' 944 Turbo - Megasquirt - 326 rwhp/340lbft @ 18 psi SOLD
www.edmontonhomelife.com
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-22-2006, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monett, MO
Posts: 1,085
Just an update, and Alex thanks for the tip. I'm determined it's the rings. I ran it, cranked #1 to TDC, no oil in the intake port, piston was coated w/ oil, if it was the guide seal it would be out the exhaust, not in the combustion chamber. compression is down about 7#'s compared to the rest, oh joy. that's definitely not good when that cylinder is "wet" and the others are dry.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
cool. keep us updated!
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 04-02-2006, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Monett, MO
Posts: 1,085
sorry guys, I forgot to give an update.

Well it's been about a month and a half and all is well.

I pulled the fuel rail and it was definitely not coming in from the intake, and if it was the exhaust it would have been smoking but not pooling on top of the piston.

I checked, double checked, and had some one else check the rod and it was straight as could be. Scary enough, I buttoned it back together with a new set of rings. I took it for a test drive, seated them, and presto, no more oil smoke.

I forgot, what's even scarier which I failed to mention in the first post is that the car was attempted to be re-started after the headgasket let go (which I didn't know till after putting it back together). The cylinder was full of water and he attempted to start it. It actually physically broke the aluminum nose casting of the starter. It was a more than a "little" noisy when I went to restart it. I for sure thought that the rod was bent and I overlooked it, but apparently the rings didn't like compressing water too much. All is well with the new ones.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
wow good to hear!

__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 05-30-2006, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:12 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.