Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
lowbob84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 101
Hood insulation

So I recently acquired a 1986 944 Turbo, and I've noticed that my hood rubs up against my windshield wiper arms. I don't think that should be happening, but my hood appears to be on correctly and the wipers don't appear to be bent. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that is typical, or does it sound like the wrong arms are on the car?

Also, my current hood insulation pad is deteriorating and crumbling all over my engine compartment. I want to replace it, but I'm not sure of the easiest way to remove it all so when I put in my new pad it sticks to the hood and not the leftover residue of the first pad. So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on removing the original pad? Also, should I go with a stock pad to replace it or would a mylar pad give it better insulation?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
the hood should not be rubbing against the wiper arms.

most people who remove the hood insulation opt to just keep it off. i've got mylar on mine and it does look clean and shiny so if you're going to replace it mylar would probably be the better choice.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 04-12-2006, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
lowbob84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 101
Thanks for the help. Did you take your hood insulation off yourself, or did you get somebody to do it for you?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
it came that way, but was a professional job.

i would think that some sort of glue-remover (like petrol?) would do the trick, but you don't want to damage the paint underneath, which should match body color.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 04-12-2006, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
oh, or how about a hot-water pressure-wash gun ?
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 04-12-2006, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
lowbob84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 101
I was thinking about a pressurer washer, I just wasn't sure if anyone had tried that before.. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 191
Send a message via AIM to TurboFoFo
ahh yes mine is crumbling away as well but didn't think there was a solution. So would you probably reccomend removing the hood to use a pressure washer?

That stuff would probably cover the entire bay if left on. hehe. so wuts this mylar stuff you guys are talking about? easy to put on?
__________________
PCA Member
86 951 Blk/Blk
Guru Chips, Momo MonteCarlo Wheel, Kinesis 17" SuperCups
Old 04-15-2006, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
lowbob84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 101
I'm hoping the pressure washer does the trick. I'm going to try it the next time I have a chance. The mylar is a thermal acoustic pad and can be found at
http://www.************************/productpage.aspx?pid=106175&name=Thermo+Acoustic+H oodliner
Old 04-15-2006, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
chapstic2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 679
Send a message via AIM to chapstic2001
I have heard of some people taping a plastic scraper to the end of a shop vac and sucking it down that way to keep the mess to a minimum. Since the OEM insulation is pretty dry and dusty, most comes off this way. Putting down an old bed sheet across the engine keeps the small bits off and makes clean-up simple. There are adhesive removers to get the rest but make sure it will not eat the paint.

I would be hesitant to use the pressure washer due to the fact it would blow that crap everywhere and make a mess. On top of that, you risk getting water somewhere it shouldn't...i.e. electronics. Our engines are temperamental under normal situations. But if you remove the hood, make sure you mark the alignment correctly.

I plan taking a shop vac to it this summer since every time I shut the hood, more and more insulation is falling off. I do not plan on replacing it.

__________________
'08 BMW e90 335i 6MT stock [aka 'take two']
'12 Dodge Durango [family hauler]
'86 951 (K&N Cone, Welt Chips, Tial, Zeitronix, P&P O-ring PH Head, WFHG, AFPR) [in storage]
Old 05-10-2006, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:56 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.