Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 14
N00b Questions here I need an experts advice. May get 87 944S

I have a bunch of questions forgive me for being such a noob.

Here is the ad: 1987 Porche 944S For Sale. 197,000KM runs well. Was donated to the school where I work at.. The car is too good to destroy. It would need brakes and some tender loving care. I don't have any idea what this car would be worth. We are using the proceeds to buy equipment for the shop class. If interested please contact me by email.

My questions are:

1. What is the difference between a 951 and a 944.
2. How much are brakes and parts for this car? Any interchangablity? I just priced out master, rotors, callipers and pads for about 2800 or something on pelican.
3. Is it worth getting this car for cheap and fixing it? How reliable are these cars?
4. I am mechanically inclined and an apprentice at a BMW dealership. But how much would you say you spend a year on your car.

Thanks for reading and helping me out.

Colin


Last edited by CoconutColin; 04-14-2006 at 10:01 AM..
Old 04-14-2006, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
vott does ziss do?
 
ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,676
hi Colin and welcome

the 951 is an 8-valve turbo, and the 944S you speak of is a 16-valve normally aspirated car. both cars come with their strengths and weaknesses. there are several threads that discuss both in detail. I won't go into all of it here

the real question here is how much money are you willing to spend? the problem with these cars is that it is much cheaper in the long run to buy a good example than a cheap "fixer-upper". these cars can become expensive quickly. even if you are mechanically inclined and can do a lot of the work yourself, the parts cost alone can get to be astronomical. there is no free lunch here. in most cases, you'll end up spending more money on a "fixer upper" than simply buying a good one in the first place

many people think that they can get a car for cheap and then "fix it up" for a few hours of labor, a bag-o-bolts, and a paint rattle can from the hardware store. this won't work. you already seem to have done some homework on what things will cost, so you have a basic understanding of what you are up against

oh, and you may try to post this on the regular 944 section, as this is the turbo section, and not too many n/a guys drift over here. you'll get more responses there

good luck and have fun!
__________________
Old 04-14-2006, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
jjflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 288
Garage
Colin,

Run down to the nearest Borders, Barnes & Noble or good motorsports bookstore and buy "Original Porsche 924/944/968" by Peter Morgan. It's a great basic book on this line of P-cars. Lots of fun with tons of great pix...a real classic.
__________________
Stephen Porter -- ABQ, NM
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2007 base Cayman and 1989 944
Past: 2 914's (ancient history)...long list of 951's, S2's, one Boxster S and garage-queen '89 928 S4, now living in Texas.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
sfierle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 89
I agree with Ronin, the fixer-uppers on a Porsche are not the financially best way to go, unless you take pride in knowing you did the work yourself. Although not a 944, it took me two 911s to realize it (yes, I am a slow learner)
__________________
1987 951: new toy

1971 911T: Sold
1973.5 911T: Sold
1983 928S: Sold
Old 04-17-2006, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 14
Thank you EVERYONE for your responses. I love the porsche 944. and I am an apprentice mechanic... I may work for bmw and have help from some of the brightest mechanics around. IM confident if I get the car $$$ and parts will just be the concern. In which case I can just sell it for parts...

(I am getting it < 1000.)
Old 04-17-2006, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
gtroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 624
You have to be more careful about the head for the S (rare and pricey, and more valves to bend). So you'll want to do the timing belt and chain tensioner immediately. And there's a real good chance that there's a clutch in your near future so you might save your money for that (same goes for any 944 with those miles (er, kilometers).

Honestly, there's a pretty good chance it's going to need all the usual things and you'll end up dumping several grand into it (and tools) over a few years. That's what I did and I bought an already very nice one for $7K. That said, i don't regret it for a second, but that's me.

edit - I hate to say this, but for <$1K, you could probably get your money back out from the head alone if it came to that. Of course we'll all yell at you (unless we need a head).
__________________
1995 993C4 guards red
1988 944S alpine white

Last edited by gtroth; 04-28-2006 at 06:32 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 14
im not buying it..

so yeah.. you guys arent going to see me on here..

btw anyone want a parts car?

Old 04-29-2006, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:15 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.