Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
jra jra is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 3
Tire wear?

I just bought my first 1987 944 Turbo. I flunked Maryland inspection because the front tires were down to the belts on the inner surface. The outer portion looks fine. Reading the manual, this has something to do with the camber/caster. What are the potential problems I should be looking for???

-- Jack

Old 05-01-2006, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer
 
legion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: State of Failure
Posts: 32,246
Have you had an alignment done recently?

What kind of tires are you running? Size, brand, front/rear?
__________________
Some Porsches long ago...then a wankle...
5 liters of VVT fury now
-Chris

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 05-01-2006, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
jra jra is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 3
No, I just bought the car so I haven't had it aligned. Clearly it needs alignment, but the way the tires are worn concerns me that it may be more than alignment. The tires are Michelin Profile SX (MXX3). I believe they are the standard size for front and rear - 205/55-16 on the front and 225/50/16 on the rear.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer
 
legion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: State of Failure
Posts: 32,246
I understand your thinking. I also wonder if being a little toe-out could cause excessive wear on the insides of the tires. I seem to recall having a car with that problem about ten years ago. Maybe bad tie-rod ends?

__________________
Some Porsches long ago...then a wankle...
5 liters of VVT fury now
-Chris

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 05-02-2006, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:32 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.