Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5
Exhaust Fumes in cabin

It's the darndest thing...

Re: 86' 944 Turbo...I can smell a slight exhaust fume in the cabin all the time but it's really bad when I have the driver's side window open even slightly or the windows rolled up and with A/C running. Can't figure out how it's getting into the cabin? I smell it LEAST when I've got the windows rolled up and I'm travelling faster than 60 MPH. I've had the car checked by the dealer, my regular really good mechanic, all to no avail. I've had the hatchback seal replaced to new, sunroof seal changed new and door seals new. Noone can can seem to find any leaks in the exhaust system anywhere. Confused...

Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
SD Porsche Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 63
Check the rubber insulation under the shift boot to see if there are any holes. If you have a leak in the tourque tube tunnel that might be the cause.
__________________
Steve
'89 951 Alpine White/Blue, factory sport seats, Lindsey DP WG, MBC, Vitesse chips, 3 bar FPR, Evo diverter valve K&N filter, cat bypass, Koni Yellows
Old 05-24-2006, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5
Steve,

Thanks, would of never thought to check there...
Old 05-25-2006, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 155
I just did some diggin into my S2 to find a similar problem. In my car it looks like the stock hose clamp goes kind of egg-shaped, and could allow a leak. I replaced the lower stock clamp with 2 aftermarket clamps, and the upper with one, it seems to smell better now. I think I still have a good likely causes link:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-03.htm#fuel-smell
Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
this is a common problem. you should also check the rubber seals behind and above the rear passenger seats.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 06-20-2006, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Engine swap pro
 
myskyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Greater Seattle area
Posts: 351
ok i am getting this too but only at a stop or low speeds. it doesnt matter if the windows are down or up i still get the smell. so i am going to go over all of my exhaust clamps sometime in the near future.
__________________
87 951 ---- "R2" - under the knife
87 951 ---- "R1" Parting out - Gave to a good friend
88 951 ---- Black one - recieved as a trade for my 87 - very mint - parting out
06 WRX ---- The "RUE"
Old 06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5
In my car it looks like the stock hose clamp goes kind of egg-shaped, and could allow a leak. I replaced the lower stock clamp with 2 aftermarket clamps, and the upper with one, it seems to smell better now.

Are you talking about the clamps on the whole exhaust system itself? Sorry...Don't quite know what you mean...
Old 06-23-2006, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5
This is a common problem. you should also check the rubber seals behind and above the rear passenger seats.

Thanks for your response! If this is a common problem there seems to be a lot of Mechanics having trouble finding the source? When you say the rubber seals behind and above the rear seats, are you talking about the rear hatch seal. It's one complete seal (one piece) and I changed it out already. No effect. Stiill getting the fumes aaarrrgghh. One Guy told me it could be fumes coming through between the rear hatch seal and the hatchback itself. He promptly adjusted the "catches' but again no difference....Then he suggested that I take the car to an Apple Auto Glass and have the whole hatch removed and re-worked. This will cost $1100.00 CDN, yet I don't want to spend this given no one's really sure???
Old 06-23-2006, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
maybe the mechanics you're going to are not porsche-specific mechanics?

i was referring to the rubber seal above the gas tank inside the hatch area under the carpeting, although the actual rubber seal around the hatch glass itself (or the hatch not fitting properly and causing a reverse/drag air leak) can cause this problem as well.

this is a VERY common problem, and there are dozens of possible causes. check rennlist for them (search for: exhaust fumes).

here are just a few of the dozens of threads;
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=270169&highlight=exhaust+fumes

and;
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=267119&highlight=exhaust+fumes

and;
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=266133&highlight=exhaust+fumes

also, find a better mechanic who knows about porsches, not just any joe-blow redneck wrench.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 06-23-2006, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
I too have this exhaust fumes problem ('87 951) and can't determine source. I have had hatch latches adjusted to ensure a "proper" seal. Seems tight. I know I have a poor sunroof seal (this might be why I get wet when I wash the car in the no-touch!?!) Anyway, the fumes enter the car immediately on start up. There is no fuel smell, no anti-freeze smell. Not rotten eggs either. Just a dirty, stinky, almost noxious scent that gives me a light headed, foggy feeling. Probably dangerous too! If the windows are closed and I am at speed it seems to dissipate somewhat. But it's pretty bad even when standing at idle, so I don't think it's any of the glass or door seals, but possibly a leak in engine compartment or under the car?!?! Thoughts?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
That Guy
 
Techno Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,906
Garage
Check condition of the rubber seal on the firewall and around the shift boot. There should be an inner rubber boot that cracks with age/heat.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
AFM #725
 
Gawernator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,157
Garage
Also check your hatch seal which can let in fumes, a cheaper replacement is at only944.com

GL

I also just realized if your OEM rubber inner boot is FUBAR, Kyle at the above website came out with a $20 leather inner boot.

__________________
Watchdog Armory Racing AFM #725 Thanks to my 2017 Sponsors: JPH Suspension | AXO | Armour Bodies | BELL Helmets | Braven | EVLUTION Nutrition | Forcefield Armor | FunTrackDayz | Galfer | Motion Pro | MOTUL | Matrix Racing Concepts | ODI Grips | OGIO | Shorai Inc. | SPEEDMOB | Vortex | Woodcraft | Wicked Audio
http://www.gawerracing.com
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:48 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.