Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
White and Nerdy
 
Tervuren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South of Charlotte N.C.
Posts: 14,923
Garage
Perhaps a 951...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&item=140007356356&rd =1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

I just got offered a valid second chance offer through ebay on this car, and I'm a wee bit suspicious. I've seen some of my freinds tuffer before on ebay they never sold - somenoe had ripped the pictures of their websites, etc. I'd noticed the bidding seemed to have been "fished" up, and just quit. Thins like that can either be another seller - trying to make his car look less expensive, or the seller trying to bump the price up.

The car has high mileage, but I've owned a 215K mile 944NA, and it was a good solid car until the day a Toyota Tundra rapidly shortened the chassis.

I asked who did the work prior to auction ending, and if he had documentation.

Quote:
Local foreign car specialist did the work, I could try to find some of the reciepts
I'm thinking the best course of action, would be to have him bring it down here to Charlote, we meet at one of our local Porsche shops and do a PPI - and if it reasonably checks out, we complete the sale.

I've only driven one turbocharged car in my life - and loved it. That was a 924 Turbo, the 944 Turbo brigns the up to date stuff of a 944 to the table, as well as a serious extra wallop.

__________________
Shadilay.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Sound
Posts: 2,880
One odd thing is the wheels... Those wheels absolutely will not fit the stock 1986 951 suspension, which has the early offset. Of course, changing to a later (often 951 S) suspension is not uncommon, so it's not necessarily an issue, just something you need to ask about.

Looks like it has potential.

EDIT: He's also very wrong about the '86 being the lowest production year for the 951. There were 10,273 944 Turbos produced in 1986. That is more than twice as many as the next highest year (1987, 4,955 cars).
__________________
---------
Silver 1998 Volvo S70 T5 <- Daily (Anja)
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)

Last edited by AaronM; 07-20-2006 at 07:27 AM..
Old 07-20-2006, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: No longer commuting to LA from Berkeley
Posts: 160
It looks like someone put in quite a bit of work to this car.

* Those wheels will fit if wheel spacers and possibly longer wheel studs (or just wheel adapters) are being used.

* Be aware that the airbag in the steering wheel is probably non-functional (the '86 did not have airbag as an option). It probably got there just for looks.

* 8-way power seats is rare -- especially the passenger side 8-way.

Mid $4k for high mileage 951 isn't unheard of. I agree -- theres potential. Do a PPI and proceed with caution.

Good luck!
__________________
Joe Chen Current fleet: '93 Amethyst Violet 968 Cab "Lila" (back in the fleet!) ; '92 Cobalt Blue 968 Cab "Minjonet" - Canadian car
'88 Silberossa 951S "Rosy" - garage queen ; Secret project ; '99 Ford Ranger ; '00 Kawi ZX6R
Former cars: '94 Black 968 Cab "Steffi" (totaled) '87 Nautic Blue 944 S3 "Emma" (blown motor) ; '90 White 944S2 ; parts cars
Old 07-20-2006, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 748
I have an '86 951 that looks the same as that one except the wheelsand it has 223,500 miles on it and it is my daily driver, so don't worry about the miles.That car is sporting early offset Mille Maglia cup ones. That car in the auction doesn't have an airbag steering wheel, so no worries there.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: No longer commuting to LA from Berkeley
Posts: 160
My bad -- the photos of the steering wheel just looked weird.
__________________
Joe Chen Current fleet: '93 Amethyst Violet 968 Cab "Lila" (back in the fleet!) ; '92 Cobalt Blue 968 Cab "Minjonet" - Canadian car
'88 Silberossa 951S "Rosy" - garage queen ; Secret project ; '99 Ford Ranger ; '00 Kawi ZX6R
Former cars: '94 Black 968 Cab "Steffi" (totaled) '87 Nautic Blue 944 S3 "Emma" (blown motor) ; '90 White 944S2 ; parts cars
Old 07-20-2006, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Sound
Posts: 2,880
Quote:
Originally posted by josephsc

* Those wheels will fit if wheel spacers and possibly longer wheel studs (or just wheel adapters) are being used.
True. I have a "thing" about spacers. Most tracks won't allow them from what I recall back in Ohio so I figure there's some reason for that. Of course, it's probable that the PO just swapped the hubs, which again shouldn't be an issue.

I just wanted to point out that he should look into why the car isn't wearing the early-offset wheels.
__________________
---------
Silver 1998 Volvo S70 T5 <- Daily (Anja)
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 07-21-2006, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
White and Nerdy
 
Tervuren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South of Charlotte N.C.
Posts: 14,923
Garage
I'm probably going to pass on this one, and keep looking. Thanks for all the advice. i got the offer just hours after the auction ended - I'd think it would take longer to figure out you had a deadbeat bidder... He was probably trying to jack his price up, and lost out. I was suspicious watching the bidding, and decided not to bid above a certain amount, glad I didn't go crazy!

If its realy real, oh well...Idealy - I want a turbo thats in great mechanical, but would need a new paintjob. I want a Carrera GT clone or a 951 in Mexico Blue with Fuchs, its my dream combniation right now. I love the Fuchs wheels, something about them when I see them... I don't totaly know what it is, but I love them. Whenver I see a Porsche with them...

I sent ebay a message, and will see what happens. I love the way these turbo's drive, the 931 I drove has realy changed my thoughts towards turbocharged cars.
__________________
Shadilay.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-21-2006 at 06:47 PM..
Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
good call. there's something fishy about private non-listed auctions and blurry photos.

by the way, how does your mom have a 944 s2 in silver rose? i thought that paint job was only available from the factory on the true 951 silver rose in 88.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 07-23-2006, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
White and Nerdy
 
Tervuren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: South of Charlotte N.C.
Posts: 14,923
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by nize
good call. there's something fishy about private non-listed auctions and blurry photos.

by the way, how does your mom have a 944 s2 in silver rose? i thought that paint job was only available from the factory on the true 951 silver rose in 88.
Me to, I beleive it is only on the 944 Turbo S when it first came out - there was no other colour choice. I'd just put in my sig what I remember it being said when it was bought. I've not yet seen a real silver rose car in person to be sure. Odds are, its silver, not silver rose, so I'm changing my signature.

__________________
Shadilay.

Last edited by Tervuren; 07-29-2006 at 12:51 PM..
Old 07-29-2006, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
fyi, the wheels on that car are not porsche wheels, they are knockoffs. they probably weigh twice as much.

here is a true silver rose;
http://gallery.silentmedia.com/v/albuo06/albuo12/carstuff/silbarossa/
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 07-29-2006, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally posted by nize
fyi, the wheels on that car are not porsche wheels, they are knockoffs. they probably weigh twice as much.

here is a true silver rose;
http://gallery.silentmedia.com/v/albuo06/albuo12/carstuff/silbarossa/
Where have I seen that car before? Oh ya, I remember. Those are real Porsche wheels, they're called D90s. They just look like the club sports on a turbo S.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
if they're porsche factory wheels, which car did they come stock on?

i'm pretty sure those wheels are not porsche factory wheels, and are cast knockoffs.

the club sports are forged.
__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 07-29-2006, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 748
They came on S2, 928, and 964. They are cast and they are factory.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
i just did a bit of searching, the d90 stands for 'porsche design 90' wheels. i'm guessing they're made by porsche design, and not porsche factory (they are seperate companies).

porsche design makes keychains, sunglasses, pens, etc.

__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 07-29-2006, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:09 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.