Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
nige944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 129
Extremely hot air intake for hours after stopping.

I just fixed a problem thats been bugging me since I got the car, and is probably cause for my emissions failures. High HC, High CO, Low Nox.

Anyway the car was running at normal temp (according to temp guage) but the air intake was always extremely hot to the touch for hours after being parked, and the clarks-garage 951 faq, temp switch item, was not the cause.

I replaced my o2 sensor as the old one had been spliced in and the splice had laid on the exhaust and they had all melted together, but when i checked the new one with a multimeter it was pegged at 1v and would not go below, or exhibit normal behaviour.

Disheartened I replaced my vacuum lines and tried to follow the diagram i was given but i just got confused and ended up using the original vacuum line routing that the previous owner had chosen.

After doing this and replacing the air filter, plugs and plug wires, i returned to the emissions place and failed just for high HC, which had jumped to 5 gpm from 3, but my CO had dropped from 70 to 29, 30 being the limit, and I could tell, as i could drive the car without getting sick or almost dying... which is key.


Anyway last night I had another stab at the vacuum lines and discovered that the previous owner(s) had made a right f***ing mess and it in no way resembled the Lindsey racing diagram, or any other diagram for that matter.

While I was at it I also checked the adjustment of the throttle plate and the TPS.

After doing these things the car started easier, ran better, I can now touch the plastic air intake without getting burnt, and my O2 sensor gives voltages less than 1v.

Oh and after filling up with gas this morning there was no over powering smell of fuel (correctly vacuumed evaporative emissions gubbins?)

Just though i'd share.

__________________
89 944 Turbo 115k miles, Stock
96 Range Rover 4.0 SE 130k miles.
84 944 170k miles, FR Wilk Chip, Sold.

"Don't listen to me, I dont know what i'm talking about"
Old 08-24-2006, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier
 
Porsche-O-Phile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A Rock Surrounded by a Whole lot of Water
Posts: 34,187
Garage
951s stay blazing hot for a long time after shutting down. There's more heat coming off that turbo than you probably realize.
__________________
A car, a 911, a motorbike and a few surfboards

Black Cars Matter
Old 08-29-2006, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
nize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: seattle, washington
Posts: 6,775
Garage
i'd like to try baking bread in there someday.

__________________
'89 turbo-s (2.7, wolf3d ems, garrett dbb turbo, tial 46mm, etc. fast!)
Old 08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.