Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 944 Turbo and Turbo S


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered
 
jjflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 288
Garage
Muffler repair/replace on '87 951

The stub pipe at the end of the muffler on my 951 has rusted out and I have to either get a new piece welded on and re-secure the exhaust tip, or replace the entire muffler and re-attach the exhaust tip. I don't know which. The existing muffler is OK, but broken as described.

If I need (or want) to replace the muffler itself, is there anything out there that would be a nice addition to a completely stock car? I need to get this done first thing next week so I can drive the car to the German Auto-Fest in Ventura.

If anyone can recommend a good muffler shop in the LA area where I can just go and get this done RIGHT I would appreciate hearing about it. I'd love to have the time to research this correctly, but I don't want to show up at Ventura with my exhaust dragging!

TIA for any ideas or comments. Again, I don't want to spend any more money at this time to do any real exhaust mods, but is there a nicer muffler I can buy and get installed? Or is there an "OK" muffler that I can get installed cheaply and quickly and then replace later.

I've heard that one should get a "non-chambered" muffler for a 951 since the turbo itself tends to muffle the exhaust somewhat by itself.

HELP!!!!!!

__________________
Stephen Porter -- ABQ, NM
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2007 base Cayman and 1989 944
Past: 2 914's (ancient history)...long list of 951's, S2's, one Boxster S and garage-queen '89 928 S4, now living in Texas.

Last edited by jjflash; 08-31-2006 at 06:01 PM..
Old 08-31-2006, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer
 
legion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: State of Failure
Posts: 32,246
I've never seen a re-attached tip stay on for more than a day or two. I have seen a few melted bumpers from the tips falling off after being re-welded.

I would just get a new muffler. You can get one from Pelican. I prefer the aftermarket models (I have the B&B muffler--I don't think Pelican sells it).

You can change the muffler yourself and save a boatload of money. The only tools required are metric sockets/wrenches and a jack. It should only take an hour or two. A second jack or a friend (for holding the muffler in place while you fasten bolts/hangers) will make it go quicker.

I would order:

-A muffler
-New rubber exhaust hangers (2?)
-The sealing ring between the cat and muffler

__________________
Some Porsches long ago...then a wankle...
5 liters of VVT fury now
-Chris

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Reply


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:08 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.