|
|
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 150
|
Electrical question...
I've discovered a problem with my rear lights. When I pull the light switch on, all the lights, front and back, come on. But this weekend I noticed that if I turn the knob, like to adjust the gauge lights, all the rear lights on the car go out. Fiddle with the knob some more and they will come back on, and stay on as long as i don't move the knob.
The brake lights continue to function properly through all this, so my guess is the light switch is going bad, but I wanted to check with someone in the know as I'm a long way from an electrician. 1987 Targa. Thanks for any advice, 72T |
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MYR S.C.
Posts: 17,336
|
check the wiring to the switch first. maybe its been changed.
__________________
86 930 94kmiles [_ _] RUNNING:[__] NOT RUNNING: ____77 911S widebody: SOLD88 BMW 325is 200K+ SOLD 03 BMW 330CI 220K:: [_ _] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:01 suburban 330K:: [_ _] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:RACE CAR:: sold |
||
|
|
|
|
muck-raker
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Coastal PNW
Posts: 3,059
|
the switch may be old, and ready to give up. T77911S is on to something too, maybe even a bad ground.
Before you start fishing around and/or replacing stuff, grab a can of electrical contact spray. Pull the switch and liberally spray down into the switch while moving the knob back and forth. This may clean up the switch and eliminate your issue.
__________________
STONE '88 Cabriolet, using EP Slick 20w50 partial synthetic Snake Oil...just as Rommel intended. ![]() Deny Everything; Admit Nothing; and Always Make Counter-accusations
|
||
|
|
|
|
Registered
|
Change light swicth and clean connectors. Pretty bad no rear light at night
|
||
|
|
|