Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Cars For Sale


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Closed Thread
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
1984 Carrera Targa

It's time for me to sell my car to make room for a bucket list project I'm about to pull the trigger on.

I bought this car as a roller with a good period correct 915 from another pelican sometime in '08 I think.

I don't know the true mileage on the car, but I suspect it's in the range of maybe 175k based on some paperwork and some speculation. I have receipts from the original owner that show the speedo was replaced at 150k with a used unit out of an '86 if I remember correctly. The odo in the replacement unit wasn't working when I got the car running, so I sent it out to North Hollywood Speedometer for repair. The odo had approx. 42k when I got the car and now has just shy of 48k...I drive it somewhat regularly, but just local rides that don't put many miles on.

The original owner had the front pan and battery tray professionally replaced, I assume it was due to battery corrosion because I see no evidence of rust corrosion or accident damage anywhere.

Paint code: L956 Pewter Metallic

Interior code: YJ Dark Blue

Option Codes: C02 (Cat Conv), 158 (Monterey radio), 220 (locking diff), 401 (Fuchs wheels), 454 (cruise control) & 533 (alarm). At this point, the only option still installed are the 16x6/7 Fuchs.

The engine in the car is a large port 3.0 (930/04) from a '79 I parted out, which was completely rebuilt and upgraded in 2009. Heads were completely gone through with new bronze guides, new springs, new exhaust studs and fresh valve job. The case was split, all rotating parts were inspected and measured. Installed all new Porsche bearings, including number 8 nose bearing. Replaced all dilivar head studs with steel. installed re-honed and re-ringed Mahle nikasil P&C's (9.3:1). Cams, rockers, shafts were sent to DR Camshafts for re-profile to DC19 specs and refurbishment. Installed new Porsche cam chains, ramps, countershaft sprockets, hydraulic tensioners. Starter and alternator have been professionally rebuilt. Flywheel was resurfaced and new Sachs clutch assembly installed. PMO manifolds and Weber carbs with rain hats and K&N filters installed and tuned to perfection. Backdated engine tin, ducts, engine mounts, valve covers, etc have been powder coated. SSI heat exchangers and 2 In 1 out SS OEM muffler. MSD 6A ignition. Magnacore 8.5mm wires. All new engine/trans isolators installed. new bushings throughout shift linkage. installed a new heat/insulation barrier to the firewall when the engine was out. I have receipts for everything.

Much of the body was disassembled in 2010 for a complete re-spray using the proper paint code. Replaced all of the body trim pieces between panels and replaced everything I could get to that needed replacement while the panels were removed. Completely disassembled both doors and replaced all of the wiper and trim seals in the window channels. Replaced sluggish motors and re-greased the mechanisms.

Original dash panel has no cracks. Door panels are in nice shape. Original owner had seats recovered with correct leather hides, they are perfect. I keep them covered with sheepskin covers. Rear seats are in nice shape, but I removed the seat backs and rear belts for a cleaner look. They will go with the car.

Carpet is old and needs replacement. A piece is missing near the drivers kick plate. Momo steering wheel installed (MOMO TYP M 38 KBA 70056).

Pioneer Bluetooth radio with USB and new front/rear speakers.

Rennline aluminum floorboards (non-perforated). Turbo tie rods, turbo lower valve covers, Bilstein rear shocks (green). Exclaim UHP tires in standard sizes have been on the car since mid-2010, but they only have maybe 6k miles and they appear as new since the car is garaged most of the time.

The motor runs great, does not smoke and has excellent power under all conditions. It pulls hard even at 80 mph. I haven't done leakdown or compression test, but absolutely believe all numbers are perfect and honestly don't see a need to. Valves are perfectly adjusted. I do get some oil seepage, seems to be coming from the oring seals at the Baer oil cooler interface, but haven't felt motivated to pull it apart. Btw, had the cooler pressure tested at the machine shop when the motor was apart, so I don't suspect an internal leak.

Front fender oil cooler is later model finned type, not the 28 tube brass cooler unique to '84. No cooling fan, but temps never get above the lower tick mark even in FL heat during heavy traffic. AC has been disabled, system is mostly intact and lines are capped off at the compressor and condenser, which had to be removed to accommodate the Weber carbs and rain hats. All removed parts will go with the car, including cruise control servo.

I added front and rear Carrera OEM spoilers, but I also have the original decklid and it will go with the car. Installed new Weltmeister "lifetime" front lid struts, but found out they must define lifetime as two years. They'll need replacement.

I really enjoy this car and hate to have to sell it, but I only have a two car garage and something has to go.

I have lots of pictures documenting the engine build and the repaint, so I'll only post a few here, but I can provide more for serious inquiries.

Asking $32k OBO.

Mike (904) 710-1263 mobile







Without the tail...





__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold

Last edited by SCrescue; 09-04-2017 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: Added info on head refresh...
Old 07-03-2017, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #1 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
Engine Rebuild






__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 07-03-2017, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #2 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
A few more pics...






__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #3 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
A few more upgrades I forgot to include. Brand new brake pads (PBR & Mintex) and wear sensors at all four corners. Brakes on this car are outstanding.

Rebuilt both CV shafts with two new CV joints and boots on one shaft, and a thorough clean and re-grease on the other.
__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 07-05-2017, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #4 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
Bump...still available...
__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 07-11-2017, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #5 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
Sunday night bump! This is a nice car folks, and I need to make room for my new toy, so I'm a motivated seller. Let's talk.
__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 07-16-2017, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #6 (permalink)
 
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
Price reduction bump... did I mention I'm a mo-ti-va-ted seller? ��
__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 07-21-2017, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #7 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
Monday bump...
__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #8 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
Bump...
__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #9 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
Bump, still available....and a few more pics...

__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 08-30-2017, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #10 (permalink)
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Posts: 540
Garage
Springtime bump...

__________________
'84 Carrera Targa (3.0 with SSIs, Webers, DC-19 Cams, MSD) - Sold
Old 03-28-2018, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #11 (permalink)
Closed Thread


 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:52 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.