View Single Post

Engine/Gearbox rebuild 84 3.2 Carrera Diagnostic help request

Finally got underway on pulling apart the engine and gearbox from my 84 Carrera.
Unfortunately it will tie up the car for most of the summer, so no DE in my plans for this season.
I decided it had to come apart after finding metal in the oil filter - the subject of a post last fall. Its either bearings of the intermediate shaft gear - I am betting on the latter.
The car had relatively low mileage - just over 160,000 km.
However, it has had a lot of track time.
I had the engine apart a few years ago to replace broken compression rings in cylinders 1,2 & 3, likely caused by an overly aggressive chip, 91 octane fuel, and a very hot weekend at Road America.
I didn't split the case because there was no evidence that anything was in need of attention. The car has run well in the 35,000 km or so since the first rebuild.
Well, actually, it was the second rebuiild. A previous owner was going to race the car and has a precautionary rebuild, installing ARP bolts and studs, longer valve springs with Ti retainers, new valve guides, etc. It was also converted to an Autothority MAF, and the intakes were cut open and enlarged and polished.
After my broken ring rebuild, I installed a Steve Wong chips, and had it modified a couple of times to get rid of a bit of leaning out at mid speeds. During that testing, I did couple of dyno sessions to get the A/F ratio; saw about 215 HP at the rear wheels.

Anyway, got the engine and gearbox out today.
After looking at the various removal methods - the fixture on a jack method, the motorcycle lift method, etc. I decided to use the Kubota method. Worked great.

I won't bother posting picture of the routine teardown, but once I figure out the source of the metal I'll be sure to share.
I'm sure I will need some input once I get the case split.
And when I open the gearbox.

'14 X5 diesel

Last edited by bdonally; 06-11-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Old 06-04-2018, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)