Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > 101 Projects Discussion Forum: BMW 3-Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
ZWolf24 (guest)

Hello many, I can't seem to figure out which wires are which and no multimeter, but i hope its an easy once the pic is seen. Outside wires are white, inside right wire black, inside left gray? Just hoping to know which is which if possible. Thank you.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

These are the wires between the sensor and its plug. You are splicing in a generic sensor, correct? Those wires can be any color the manufacturer of the sensor wants, and I am guessing that the , but my best guess would be: Black is signal positive and gray is signal negative, and the two whites are the heater, which should be reversible as the heater is not grounded at the sensor.

If you trace the wires to above the plug, and you tell us the model, we can tell you which wire goes where in the car harness. I just looked at an early 318 and a late 328 wiring diagram. The systems are quite different, but the colors at the plug are the same, red/white or green is 12V to the sensor heater, brown is ground to the heater. Black is signal ground and Yellow is signal positive.

If I may offer some unsolicited advice, a wise old mechanic once told me that diagnosing problems related to poor connections to an oxygen sensor can be a real PITA. Many people have done it successfully, but using generic fit oxygen sensors is probably not the place where you want to save money.

Last edited by Manolito; 02-10-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: