View Single Post
Slippery slope skier

Garage
Crushed oil line repair

One of my Wednesday night tasks has been to tackle the repair of the crushed oil lines.
The team at Café 9 automotive promptly removed the lines as a complete assembly and put some much needed pressure on me to complete the repair ASAP

The repair of these lines has been on my mind for a very VERY long time.
In fact it’s been so long, that I have been totally overthinking and over planning this exercise!
The AHA moment was back in 2013 when I first read the post from Rusty Heap Fixed my Crushed Oil line for $5 and a beer.

...And since everything worth doing, is worth over doing...
...after a little help from my friends at the hydraulic shop.....and voila!
M30x1.5 blanking plugs

I set myself the following boundaries for this repair:
  • Limit the internal pressure to 60PSI. DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY when you see the success of the repair and incrementally up the pressure just 10 more PSI (let’s see if we can get it a little bit better!) This will mitigate the risk of bursting the pipe while executing this repair
  • The objective is to recover 90% of the cross section. DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY to repair it to a level that would make it impossible to see that it had ever been damaged!
  • Do not wreck the threads of the oil temperature thermostat. Execute the repair without removing the pipes from the thermostat housing
  • Final cleaning of the inside of the pipes to be done as part of rebuilding the oil thermostat to ensure that it is functioning correctly

Last edited by Costa P; 09-16-2018 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: noticed error after posting
Old 09-16-2018, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)