View Single Post
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
The biggest issue is finding analysts to sort through the petabytes of new data. Of course the Chinese and Russians and other various bad guys play hide and seek for some things.
That is very true. As much money as we pour into sensors and platforms, we pour into automated systems to work through the petabytes of new data and make tactical sense of the data.

The single biggest hindrance to new systems is the human in the loop unable to differentiate the junk from the objective. The term is "operator recognition differential" and seeks to quantify how the human in the loop impacts system performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
It would be cool to really know what the newest super top secret spy aircraft can do. Hopefully they are so far advanced the SR71 looks like a toy. I doubt that, but I hope it is so.
To a large degree, it honestly isn't about the airplane anymore...sensor performance in space, LEO and air breathers is amazing. Space, Weight and Power of the current and upcoming generation of senors across the EO/IR spectrum, other detection capabilities, Electronic Warfare, etc. is quite something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Paul could tell you what they can do, but then he would have to kill you. Nobody wants that.
We are working on a drone that folds and fits inside a bomb shape so it can be carried on the wing of a fight in order to get to the fight at 450kts.

We designed and built the aircraft and we demonstrated the capability to fly and team with manned aircraft last year in the electronic warfare realm. More exercises this year followed by actual deployment from a jet.

More fun than man can stand.

The point is, layered capability is our strength. The U-2 is, btw, an amazing aircraft. I managed the Navy's version of an unmanned U-2, called Triton. The problem is the bad guys have missiles that can (as they did with Francis Gary Powers) impact mission success.

Brave new world.

The Inklings
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)