View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
Cost for sure is part of it. The current generation of spy satellites are pretty darnn good, but the folks getting spied on know exactly where they are, and when they will fly over. The new generation of satellites are the size of a load of bread, and there are lots of them. They are overhead all the time, or at least one or two are, and as they move on, the next one comes up.

The biggest issue is finding analysts to sort through the petabytes of new data. Of course the Chinese and Russians and other various bad guys play hide and seek for some things.

It would be cool to really know what the newest super top secret spy aircraft can do. Hopefully they are so far advanced the SR71 looks like a toy. I doubt that, but I hope it is so.
We saw what at first appeared to be a satellite but then it started doing S turns. The shuttle was retired by then and the X37 was still up there so that wasn't slowing down to land at the time either. Don't know what it was but I assume some sort of boost glide vehicle. Probably unmanned from Paul's company that he can't tell us about!

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)