View Single Post

I purchased my engine from LA Porsche. They gave me a 6 month warranty, and have been excellent at sending out the few pieces that were either missing or broken when the engine arrived. Here are more pics of the project:

1997 3.6 Varioram upon arrival

I did quite a bit of research and archive searches on exhaust solutions for the 3.6 conversions. It seems as though most have gone with B&B headers and the Fabspeed/Flowmaster muffler. Others have used the excellently flowing factory 993 heat exchangers and adapted some type of custom muffler, or have used the factory catalytic converters with tips welded to the ends. My shop has been fabbing a nice system with mandrel bent pipes and Spintech mufflers, but I chose to go the same route as EMBS with the Triad muffler. I spoke to Dave at Triad, and I essentially have the second muffler he's made for this application. It bolts to the factory heat exchangers, and has provisions for the O2 sensors. I will have 2 O2 sensors, so I asked him to leave the bungs off so my shop can place them appropriately without interference.

I will have my car dyno'd again on the Dynapack dynamometer once everything is installed. Unfortunately, this won't be a very good a/b comparison for exhausts since my car will have computer mapping by Steve Weiner instead of the Steve Timmins'-popularized euro OBDI setup with Cyntex chips. Nevertheless, we should be able to tell if the Triad muffler greatly hinders power. Below is a picture of my Triad muffler, just before shipment.

The white X's are where he wanted to put the O2 sensors (I need 2 since I'm running US OBDII), and the white boxes are close to the factory locations.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)