View Single Post
Still Doin Time

Unhappy You won't believe why it blew up...........

Readers Digest of my story. Last year we were in the market for our first 911. Being a European tech by trade with many years under my belt AND good advice from P-car exclusive techs I was ready to "git one"

After many dissapointments, decided on a nice '85 Targa w/95K that was not perfect, but was priced under market with small items I could address along the way.

After @1200 mile and two months, no issues until one Sunday road trip the engine gave way in a serious manner. Now I'm bummed out big-time. Spare time and $$ got in the way until recently when I dropped the engine for a complete rebuild / hop-up.

Split the cases Friday night and much to my surprise the rod cap was off and bent beyond belief; piston, cylinder, layshaft ruined. The case and crank were damaged, but repairable.

The cause???????? Believe it or not the connecting rod nuts FELL OFF allowing the rod cap to progressively work loose and parts went flying!! At first I thought the rod bolts had failed. Closer inspection revealed what was perfect threads on the nuts and the bolts. They had just backed off until they fell off!! UN-F__KING BELIEVABLE !!!

That issue destroyed a really good 3.2. The prior leak down was good and the bearings looked almost new.

Anyone else seen this?? I'm baffled

Pics of the carnage will follow soon.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 06-05-2005, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)