View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by ted
Tell me then could a slip be one technique used to bleed off altitude inside the final approach fix? Is it a technique not practiced or perhaps not chosen by pilots of larger aircraft.

On a non-crosswind day I have seen large air carriers (DC-8 years ago for one) slip the plane 400 feet above the ground. Could it have been a correction based on his above glide path PAPI indication?

A good X-wind landing is impressive, would a slip on a calm wind day be considered the same? Or just a good save for poorly flown approach?

I've been at SAN Tower for 23 years, say hi to MG next time you drop in.
You can use a slip to lose altitude, its been done for years but usually not with the big birds. Keep an eye on the old taildraggers, the ones who do not have any flaps. They usually stay a bit high until the field is made then slip to about 10 or 20 feet then straighten out and land.

Problem with larger airplanes is that the people in the back do not like a slip and with the longer wings you have to worry about catching a wingtip doing things like that.

JoeA
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 08-13-2005, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)