View Single Post
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RarlyL8
Check the "O" rings on the intercooler base and the throttle body neck. Those can get pinched and cause a host of problems. I use a little oil on mine when replacing the intercooler.

CIS really isn't that bad once you get your head around how it works as a componential system. Most of it can be removed. The only components you actually must have for the car to run (in a mild climate) are the WUR and the fuel head. Everything else is for convenience or smog.
Thanks. For a while I thought you nailed it ... and that still may be the prob. I put some oil on the o-rings and reseated the intercooler assembly. It ran perfect for about 20 minutes through a series of stop signs, it was idling smooth as glass. I was heading home and it died again at the last stop sign, then died again pulling in my driveway. It just hit 180 on the oil temp gauge.

It's weird, the idle will drop from 1,000 rpm to about 500 rpm and then surge back up, then down again... but the whole time it's firing on all 6. In other words it's idling smooth, but erratic. When it dies it sounds like a flameout .... popping out the tailpipe or blowoff and such. Maybe the orings are shot... they don't fit real tight.

I went to the library today but they don't have crap on Porsches. Maybe I'll hit the book store and see what they have. I want to get a schematic of the intake system and see what's going on in an idle situation.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)