View Single Post
Boost Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDD View Post
Yeah, and to make it one step better, just run a hose from the fog light hole to the front of the cooler to blow air directly across it...

I am not 100% sure that your car has a fan, Maxx. I think that if it is stock than maybe all you have is a sensor which should open up the oil lines at the back of the car once a certain temperature is reached, and then the oil lines will transport oil all the way to the front fender of your car and through the cooler and back again to the engine in the rear. It is the oil lines, more than the crappy, inefficient trombone cooler, that actually cool the oil.

I don't think you have a fan, but I could be totally wrong, and also the previous owner may have installed a thing or two. Don't quote me on that!

Anyway, you can put a fan in there, or update to the Carrera oil cooler, or just bite the bullet and set up a good front cooler.

Some people simply remove the fender cooler and run a front mounted cooler directly to the oil tank in the back of the car with those same oil lines. In other words, some people bypass the trombone cooler completely and run just the front cooler. I can't vouch for how well that works, but it would work a lot better than your current set up. Most front mount coolers come with a built in fan which you can often set up to trigger manually. Mine was set up to trigger using the rear wiper switch on the dash since I don't have a rear wiper.

There are several ways you can do this....if your sensor is fine then you probably need a better set up than what you have now.

Thanks,

I found out the next morning that the temp gage was actually reading 212, not 242.... which is good. It goes from 180 to 210 and then 250....with the needle over the 210, it looked like it was 240. I am still getting to know the car.

At any rate, 212 IMO is pretty hot so I may take your suggestion and upgrade to hopefully keep it around 200 max.

Last edited by Maxx1; 08-04-2007 at 11:50 AM..
Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)