View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
Brat930: The problem is legislation...it takes an act of Congross (intentional misspell) to change the language in any legislation. Although logic tells you that the EFI cars are actually running cleaner than the CIS....or that some of the CIS setups can easily pass the EMISSIONS part of the test......they flunk it on the visual because of the language in the statute that defines what is "legal" and what isn't.

Here in California, it's a crap shoot when it comes to passing smog. You can take it to one person who doesn't know what to look for on the VISUAL part of the test and will pass it when the EMISSIONS part flies thru cleaner than the baseline specs. You go to another station and it flunks the visual right off the bat.....but you've already paid your fee and the data goes into the central DMV computer by VIN number.

Does it make sense that a clean running car should flunk because of visual? Hell no it doesn't, but that's the law....and until it's changed to be more realistic, you're stuck. I'm just waiting for my 930 to hit 25 years old, then I believe that it becomes classified as an antique and gets some exemption.....but I've got to check the language on that part.

chuck
Old 12-28-2007, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)