View Single Post
Driver

Garage
I don't know if there are necessarily any design flaws for the 930 along the lines of the RMS issue to the water-cooled motors. Headstuds are pretty much the only thing I can think of, though I'm sure others will then name about 10 more common problems I've overlooked. Course, that's what the exhilaration of driving a 930 will do to you--make you forget about the costs of feeding the beast.

Remember that all these cars are 20-30 years-old. Anything can go wrong on a car of that age. Particularly the rubber/plastic/electrical items, even if the car's been maintained well.

Also consider that most previous owners probably didn't buy this car to *******foot around. A 930 has probably been run hard. If PO's weren't good about items such as proper warm-up and cool-down procedures (or oil changes), that can be pretty rough on the motor and turbo. And the motor develops tremendous heat, which shortens the lifespan of all the other components in the engine bay.

Still, I've found it hard to put a finger on the average longevity of a turbo motor. You hear of SC and Carrera motors going 200-300K without ever being opened up. I'm pretty surprised when I hear of a 930 motor lasting 100K miles without a rebuild. But I don't know if that's because owners got bitten by the upgrade bug and the while-we're-in-there syndrome, or if the motor/tranny/clutch/turbo really needed mechanical attention. Realize that a rebuild can easily run $15K+ (partially due to said while-we're-in-there mentality).

edit: The two times I've been stranded by the car have both been electrical issues: a faulty front trunk fuse panel that had to be replaced, and a coil and CD box that failed.

Last edited by Noah930; 01-22-2008 at 09:48 PM..
Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)