View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcc View Post
Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack, but since I'm doing the same project I didn't think you'd mind. I'm still lubricating the header nuts. What was the size of the nut and what is the size of the allen nut? I just want to make sure that I don't try to fit the wrong size.

Also, did anyone use MAPP gas on them? I thought I might try that as well. Any tips on the gas?

Wish me luck I don't break something.....
No need to apologize, Bill. If you search under other related posts you'll see that most of them advise using liberal amounts of PB Blaster- soak the bolts/header nuts every day for about a week before you even try to remove them. Some folks jam saturated cotton balls or rags up there to enhance the soaking. Once they've had a week of soaking tighten the nuts first to break the rust- sometimes you'll hear a squeak. Be careful not to use a breaker bar or persuader when removing. If you get a lot of resistance when removing the nuts turn them a few turns per day, squirting them with PB Blaster in between days. I know this sounds rediculous but take your time; it's a real pain in the a$$ if one of the studs breaks. On my car I think a p.o. must have swapped out an exhaust at one point because the nuts came out pretty easily- some studs came out as well which I replaced with new. If you're removing stock heat exchangers the allen bolt extention tool sold by Pelican is very helpful. The nut size is 13mm and the allen nut size is 8mm. I have or can take pics of the install sequence if you need them- the only difference being your system is a dual outlet muffler and mine is single. Here's a pic of the header nut tool:

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. -Jay
Old 03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)