View Single Post

Question - Backfire after long period of coasting?

I did not want to hijack the thread that I just read about backfiring. I was looking on the site for possible causes for my problem? I took my 87 turbo for its first long trip since I bought it a couple of months ago. The car has a 1 bar spring and a K27 turbo. I think the BOV is gone because when I let off the gas it burbles and "farts" a lot. I think it sounds cool, but I am a 930 newbie. The problem occurred during a long downhill stretch. I was out of the gas for +/- 20 seconds (the windows were down and the sunroof was open so I could not hear the engine very well). As I went to get back on the gas the car backfired (big puff of black smoke) and the tach needle was flopping around. I tried to get it to go, it did not want to go and would backfire if I got on it. I coasted with the car in neutral. The tach jumped around a couple more times and then the problem went away. I was scared &^%$ less that I had hurt the car. I stopped, checked the oil level, the car was not hot, fuel level over half full. The car restarted and I drove 200 miles home without issue? I hope it was some sort of mixture problem with the long downhill (if I could have heard the engine I bet it was "burbling and farting" like crazy down the long hill). Any ideas where to start?
Old 04-12-2008, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)