View Single Post
Learned by do'n twice

So... sanded out and reshot the primer but it still didn't come out as smooth as it should so I wet sanded again to a perfectly flat surface. Started applying the finish coat, single stage acrylic enamel, using the new gravity fed HVLP with 1.4 tip gun. I followed the mixing instructions exactly (8 paint: 2 reducer: 1 hardener) and did some research on the gun setup resulting in upping the inlet pressure to 40 PSI and painted on a 70 and 65 degree day. I'm getting much better results but there is still some orange peel. I seemed to alternate between applying the paint too dry or too heavy and running the paint. However, after wet sanding out the initial finish coats and reshooting, the finish is pretty good (some minor orange peel in a few spots) or at least "good enough" for my son's first project car ($500 86 944 + $1000 parts).

Since all of the finish coat so far is on panels removed from the car (hood, sunroof, bumpers) I'm hoping I can get some advise on improving my results on the main car body. Again, I think I'm putting the paint on too dry but It seems to run when put on wet. (Note: I'm using "fast reducer 60 - 70 degrees)

Any help would be appreciated.

jmd_forest

Last edited by jmd_forest; 04-14-2008 at 06:46 AM..
Old 04-14-2008, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)