View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
I've always had problems with machines, mostly due to my size. I'm 6'5" and that is either at or over the upper size limit for machines. You will find when working with a highly educated personal trainer you don't need machines. In general machines are designed to be placed inside membership gyms, the average person can come in and get a workout of some form even if they have no idea what they are doing.

Am I an expert? No but my wife is and we own a fitness facility. I am not a fitness person, I fix what needs to be fixed, and attempt to arrange financing/investors...basically a jack of all trades. Our trainers all have bachelor's degrees or higher and are certified by NASM or ACSM. Most of the trainers use functional training utilizing stability balls and free weights. One of our trainers was one of the first body builders using a stability ball for his bench press to build functional muscle. He does his entire workout using minimal equipment.

You might look into getting an educated trainer to write up a workout program for you based on your physical history. Any good trainer can develop a program for you that will utilize common things in your home for a work out.

If you are short on time and concerned that you need constant direction I would check out CrossFit. I really don't like doing regular workouts, I can't stand running (unless I'm chased) but I really like CrossFit because I get an awesome workout done in an hour. They use a variety of equipment and the goal is to bring you to a well rounded fitness level.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)